• Modern Conviviality
    I'm reading some analytic philosophy, and the author writes: "truth is primarily a property of judgement not of propositions" - Is this true?

(I'm new to these forums. And I'm excited to join in the fray. But I'm not sure if I am free to ask questions to others, or if this is considered inappropriate. The reason is that I work in marketing/sales and study philosophy on the side, so I have no intellectual superiors to turn to! Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I hope I can answer other people's questions as well)

• WISDOMfromPO-MO
    If you could travel back in time and ask for the definition of "truth" you would probably get different answers in different historical periods.

In other words, it is not something concrete and external like rain. It is a concept that depends on cultural context for meaning and application.

At least that is the way that I see it.
  • Mongrel
    "truth is primarily a property of judgement not of propositions" - Is this true?Modern Conviviality

"Either A or B is true." Why would we say that A and B are necessarily judgments? Does the author say?
  • Buxtebuddha
    and the author writes: "truth is primarily a property of judgement not of propositions"Modern Conviviality

The way this is written make it sound like truth is not a property of a proposition, which would be false. Why'd you pick this quote in particular? Do you disagree with it or..?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Truth is the property of the judgement, in the same way that red is the property of the person who sees a red object and judges that it is red. The person judges the object as having the quality, but that quality is apprehended within the mind of the person judging.
  • TheMadFoolAccepted Answer
    "truth is primarily a property of judgement not of propositions" - Is this true?Modern Conviviality

I can make sense of that. Any train of thought must have some axioms to start from and their truth is a matter of judgment. Without axioms thinking would be impossible: Munchhausen Trilemma

However, what follows from axioms are truths that are evidential and so not just a matter of judgment.
  • Modern Conviviality
    I disagree. Only relatively recently has relativism about truth come into fashion. The consensus of philosophers in the tradition is that there exists a 'logic of truth' - viz. that truth is transcultural, trans-religious, etc. Certain criteria such as consistency, coherence, simplicity, and logical soundness apply equally to propositions today as they did to propositions in 500 BC
  • Anonymys
    Come join the "Post-Truth discussion" and look at the last page, currently having a discussion on this very thing
  • Anonymys
    If you could travel back in time and ask for the definition of "truth" you would probably get different answers in different historical periods.

In other words, it is not something concrete and external like rain. It is a concept that depends on cultural context for meaning and application.

At least that is the way that I see it.
    WISDOMfromPO-MO
  • Anonymys
    sorry, I was using your quote for another page, ignore that^
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.