• Cynical Eye
    "The two most important days in life are the day you were born and the day you found out why"
    -Mark Twain

What's the meaning of your life?

Feel free to share your thoughts.
  • Rich
    To create, explore, learn, and evolve (and this goes on for multiple physical lives).
  • 0 thru 9
    What's the meaning of your life?Cynical Eye

(Y) Ahh, nicely worded! That "your" in the question makes a huge difference. Without it, it is a trite cliche, if not possibly trolling. With it, it has the makings of a very interesting and personal thread. And i shall share my answer to that question just as soon as I discover it!

And now back to the program...
  • CasKev
    Lately, I've come to believe that there is no true meaning to my life. Sounds like a bad thing, but I think it's actually having a positive impact, because I think it's closer to the truth than my previous beliefs.

I was taught that my life should have meaning, and that was easy to believe, given our high level of intelligence and consciousness. But this need for meaning left me constantly wondering if I was fulfilling life's purpose, and feeling that I always needed to be becoming something more. With the need for meaning removed, I can be more satisfied with my current state, and focus on fulfilling my true needs, like food, water, sleep, shelter, exercise, relationships, and family.
  • praxis
    No one has one meaning to their life.
  • Buxtebuddha

To love as fully as I am able to. Every other meaning that I derive from my life ought to be in service to bringing about love, which would be, and is, quite a long list!
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO

Do you mean the purpose of my life?

Please define "meaning".
  • Cynical Eye
    I've come to believe that there is no true meaning to my life.CasKev

That's an interesting answer! And it really got me thinking.
    I was taught that my life should have meaning, and that was easy to believe, given our high level of intelligence and consciousnessCasKev

And yes, I agree with that. Everyone is infused with the idea that we should have a meaning in life and we should seek for it. Even myself fall for it. I shall think about this :)
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
  • Cynical Eye
    No one has one meaning to their life.praxis

What about you?
  • Cynical Eye
    To love as fully as I am able to.Heister Eggcart

How do you mean by love?
  • Cynical Eye
    Do you mean the purpose of my life?

Please define "meaning".
    WISDOMfromPO-MO

I'm not sure what others' definition on "meaning" would be, but in my opinion, there's a difference between "purpose" and "meaning".
    But I can't explain exactly how. Maybe someone could answer that for me?
  • Buxtebuddha
    How do you mean by love?Cynical Eye

To will the good of another.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.