• TheMadFool
    In baby logic we're taught to distinguish between explanations and arguments.

The classical method of making the distinction is:

Explanations show why something is true and arguments show that something is true.

Another difference is explanations deal with accepted facts and arguments deal with controversial issues.

The two paragraphs above form the essence of the difference between explanations and arguments.

My question is that from the standpoint of an inquirer there's no way to make the distinction.

Why?

Because both explanations and arguments must be requested through the exact same question, which is: WHY?

So, what are the benefits of this, what appears to be pointless, distinction explanation vs argument? If any?

Thanks.
  • Cavacava
    Argument:Explanation::Reason:Cause
  • TheMadFool
    Argument:Explanation::Reason:CauseCavacava

I don't think that's always true.

1. IF you hit me THEN it'll hurt
    2. You hit me
    THEREFORE
    3. It'll hurt

In the above argument statement 1 is a conditional that expresses a causal connection. Yet, it's an argument if you haven't hurt me yet.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.