• WISDOMfromPO-MO
    Jolting to me anyway.

Maybe to people who know more about world politics than me it is ho-hum.

Anyway, from this article:

"Out of the meeting an intercontinental network was formed to act as a forum through which each of the movements could support one another. This essentially became the global anti-capitalist movement. The network, however, was conceived of as a flat structure, without leaders, without hierarchies, and without central decision makers. The network participants also shunned the idea of vanguards and seizing state power on behalf of people. Rather the idea of the network was to allow for the maximum amount of people to participate fully in the struggle, and to create autonomous zones outside of capitalism where people could define and develop their own power democratically. Indeed, the process around setting up the Network was viewed as being more important than any envisioned outcome..." (emphasis mine).

I already knew about the Zapatistas.

I already knew about the First Intercontinental Encounter For Humanity and Against Neoliberalism.

But I had never heard of the idea of "autonomous zones outside of capitalism".

I just thought that I ought to share that.
  • 0 thru 9
    (Y) Interesting article, thanks for sharing it. IMHO, eventually the majority of people will come around to this POV, more or less. It may take a decade; it may take a hundred years. The worse things get, the quicker people will be willing to acknowledge and deal with the downsides of Neo-Liberalistic capitalism. Maybe it will be too late in some ways. But better late than never. I think the idea of local currency is worth exploring.

Our current global economic situation is like one of those old Bugs Bunny cartoons where someone builds a dam in a river, and controls the water. Then the other person goes upstream of them and builds their own dam. And so on to the point of absurdity. The energy of life in our culture is not flowing freely. It is barely flowing at all, and the wasted talent, energy, time, and lives is almost unimaginable. Change is inevitable for the center cannot hold. We can do it the easy way by understanding the dynamics or the hard way by ignoring it and hoping it will just go away. The Democrat and Republican "leaders" are all in agreement and collusion on this issue, any differences are mostly about jockeying for position.

And now the cartoon, folks! (try to ignore the annoying laugh track that was added for some strange reason).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jfjlu
  • creativesoul

You wrote:The Democrat and Republican "leaders" are all in agreement and collusion on this issue, any differences are mostly about jockeying for position.

What issue are you talking about?
  • 0 thru 9

Perhaps that wasn't clearly worded. I meant that they want to keep the status quo, unless it can be made to be even more in their favor, along with their billionaire backers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.