• Banno
    There is no transcendent source material.Tom Storm

You are pretty much in agreement with Moore and Foot, then.
  • I like sushi
    That depends on your views of morality.
  • I like sushi
    It is not against the guidelines. Posting a link in the thread is unless it is relevant to the conversation.

No link posted.
  • I like sushi
    I think the whole problem can be easily addressed here by framing the is-ought problem with a the lens of emotivism. It is a conscious association not an instinctual one.

We also know that we are neurological wired to favour whatever outcome serves us. So, our evolutionary adjusts have, so some degree, led us to associate 'good' outcomes as 'ought to be' situations.

It does seem to suit species survival. The problem behind this though is the tools used to assess how favourable an outcome is alongside our temporal appreciation - short vs long term repercussions.

Where it comes down to basic survival (meaning immediate existential threats) the is-ought is overruled by instinctual apparatus.
  • unenlightened
    This is not a good song. But it is all this thread deserves.

• bert1
    Yes, doing what is good is doing what someone else wants
  • Vivek
    It's more than just our neurological development. Even the most simple lifeforms display self-preservation, it permeates all life.
  • Vivek
    I agree that other lifeforms are not self aware the way we are. I would argue that our advanced development allows self-actualisation. The fundamental property of life, however, is the same across the board.
  • Banno
    Hmm. Or you could... cooperate....
  • Baden
    Reported to moderators as self-promotion in accordance with site guidelines against "Advertisers, spammers, self-promoters".Wayfarer

Thanks. :up:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.