• Lionino
    Recently, I was warned about posting a piece of news from a mainstream journal, because it violates "discrimination guidelines". A single statement saying "you can't be racist or sexist" is not a guideline about what news one may cover or not. I was also informed that this post, displaying a full-blown female butt, is not NSFW. NSFW stands for non safe for work, obviously an exposed female butt is NSFW.

All the while, there are people in the Climate Change and Donald Trump threads, including mods, calling for the death of people and terrorism (not just implying it). One of the ex-mods freely gives horrible insults to people and gets away with it, without ever having his posts removed.

Obviously, this is not a serious place, if the few serious people here had any doubt about that.
  • Baden
    Hm, sounds like you're having a hissy fit because you were just warned for posting a racist conspiracy theory headline. Yes, you will be banned for more of that but you can go before if you like. If you think you're the paragon of seriousness we should emulate, I really don't know what to say given your posting history.
  • fdrake
    Lionino, your posts often end up in the mod queue due to their content. We have pretty lenient standards on being acerbic, especially in political discussion threads. There is a distinction between being acerbic and speaking prejudicially.

If you need help telling what's prejudiced and what isn't, feel free to send a DM.
  • Leontiskos
    Recently, I was warned about posting a piece of news from a mainstream journal, because it violates "discrimination guidelines".Lionino

The article seems unobjectionable to me. In my opinion TPF has an ideological lean, especially when it comes to politics. Conservatives must tread with care in a progressive environment, especially if they wish to enter into political argument. The problems posed by immigration is one of those topics that is largely off-limits as far as progressives are concerned. That said, I think TPF is more open-minded than most progressive spaces.
  • fdrake

That article is unobjectionable.

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/918129

The posted image is not from that article. It's from Remix news:

https://rmx.news/article/great-replacement-comes-to-ireland-280-migrants-planned-for-small-town-of-165/

The latter article is the one with the white supremacist conspiracy headline. Not the Irish Independent.
  • Baden

The article linked is unobjectionable because it is from the Irish Independent. The headline jpeg is from a right wing news site funded by neofascists and the headline "The Great Replacement" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Replacement is a racist conspiracy theory.

Lionino masked the racist jpeg with a link to a different article.

Edit: Cross-posted
  • Leontiskos

Ah, okay. I didn't realize that the jpeg was from a different article or website. My bad.
  • flannel jesus
    Recently, I was warned about posting a piece of news from a mainstream journalLionino

RMX.news is a mainstream journal? I... don't think so.

I also don't think just posting a picture and a link to an article is good enough for a discussion forum. If I were you, I'd have done osmething more like this:

A. NOT post a picture of some other article
    B. Start with an introductory paragraph like "I read this article recently about an issue some Irish people are concerned with"
    C. THEN link the article
    D. THEN write a paragraph or two on my thoughts on the issue.

You obviously skipped steps A, B and D

Just posting a picture and a link isn't suitable for an online philosophy discussion forum, it's more suitable for facebook. I'm sure you can post content of that caliber to your hearts content on facebook, I don't blame the mods for having a higher expectation of you here.
  • fdrake

No worries. It's misleading, and on @Lionino's head.
  • Baden
    I didn't realize that the jpeg was from a different article or website.Leontiskos

I'm guessing you weren't supposed to seeing as Lionino is still insisting he only posted something from a "mainstream journal".
  • fdrake
    Just posting a picture and a link isn't suitable for an online philosophy discussion forum, it's more suitable for facebook. I'm sure you can post content of that caliber to your hearts content on facebook, I don't blame the mods for having a higher expectation of you here.flannel jesus

To be clear, we probably wouldn't mod for poor citation practices so long as the posts are made in good faith, @Lionino is getting warned here for using a white supremacist conspiracy factually and presenting it in a manner as if it's from a mainstream news source. On top of other comments we've dealt with prior.
  • DingoJones
    He should be banned for that deception imo
    That is the act of a bad faith actor who is trying to game this forum and undermine/repurpose it.
  • fdrake
    He should be banned for that deception imoDingoJones

Let's just hope it's a media literacy slip up eh?
  • Baden

Being Irish, I'm definitely not happy with him representing one of our major news outlets as a purveyor of racist trash, but I'll listen to any attempt at an explanation in any case.
  • flannel jesus
    Well I personally am sick of people treating philosophy forums like facebook, or like SEO dumping grounds.

I think if someone wants to talk about the philosophy of white supremacy, even support it, then sure, but talk about it like a fucking philosopher, not like a dementia-laden geriatric who just discovered the internet.

These idiots, I think, are making a concerted effort to flood the internet with their bullshit, to muddy the information landscape. They post memes and links and are incredibly light on ideas and deep arguments.
  • NOS4A2

Free speech also entails letting people curate and manage their own platforms, even if they resort to censorship. Though censorship is anti-philosophy, and free speech has been a common ideal from Socrates on forward, the right to set one’s own rules regarding one’s own property ought to forgive even the most egregious logophobia. Better to just let it go.
  • fdrake
    I think if someone wants to talk about the philosophy of white supremacy, even support it, then sure, but talk about it like a fucking philosopher, not like a dementia-laden geriatric who just discovered the internet.flannel jesus

'mon. Dinnae insult. Edit: (to be clear, this isn't anything modworthy or formal, I'm just prodding at you for insulting someone in a feedback thread, it's preferable you don't)
  • flannel jesus
    I apologize for the "idiot" remark. The fact that people abuse these forums in that way is deeply obnoxious to me, but I of course ought not to say that anyway, probably not very productive. Thanks m
  • Baden

I hate the facebooky type meme posts and twitter links too, even in the lounge. Hard to escape all that tho'.
  • tim wood
    If anyone thinks it worth the effort, would that anyone in a sentence or two make clear exactly what the offence was? Ignorance here asking. Is it the phrase, "Replacement Theory," itself? Or whatever it means by reference? Or advocacy of it? That it's talked about? Or how it's talked about? No dog in this hunt, but it's good to understand.
  • fdrake

If you read the original thread, you'll see two things happened.

1) Great Replacement Theory was used as part of a factual claim. It was in the headline title, and used in thread to make the same point.
    2) It was presented as if it was from a respectable news organisation.

There are other contextual factors regarding post/mod history.

The specific thing which made this warnable, in my view, is evincing your own belief in a racist conspiracy theory as part of your argument.
  • unenlightened
    The Great Replacement (French: grand remplacement), also known as replacement theory or great replacement theory,[1][2][3] is a white nationalist[4] far-right conspiracy theory[3][5][6][7] espoused by French author Renaud Camus. The original theory states that, with the complicity or cooperation of "replacist" elites,[a][5][8] the ethnic French and white European populations at large are being demographically and culturally replaced by non-white peoples—especially from Muslim-majority countries—through mass migration, demographic growth and a drop in the birth rate of white Europeans.[5][9][10] Since then, similar claims have been advanced in other national contexts, notably in the United States.[11] Mainstream scholars have dismissed these claims of a conspiracy of "replacist" elites as rooted in a misunderstanding of demographic statistics and premised upon an unscientific, racist worldview.[12][13][14] According to the Encyclopædia Britannica, the Great Replacement "has been widely ridiculed for its blatant absurdity."[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Replacement

Two clicks worth for you.
  • tim wood
    I took a quick look. It seemed to be about a small Irish village about to be swamped by a forced(?) import of relatively a lot of people. Clearly I missed what you-all saw. Thank you for the reply.
  • tim wood
    Thank you too. I note the "blatant absurdity." It seems that way to me, too. I suppose there are underlying - not so far under - issues worth discussion, but not here.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.