• alan1000
    A recent post asked:

What does it mean to divide by zero? In mathematics, this operation is undefined.

Back up the wagon, Chester! We first need to clarify: in which number line?

In the natural and relational number lines, the two integer lines we are mostly familiar with, "undefined" is probably the correct answer. I say "probably" because the history of mathematics is littered with the corpses of "undefinables" which subsequently proved to be definable.

In the hyperreal number line, it's wrong. In this line, 0 is one of the possible values of h, which is defined as a number which, for all values of n, is greater than -n and less than n. From this it follows that any number divided by 0 equals infinity, because 0 is a non-finite value equal to every other value within h. And thereby the calculus is made respectable.
  • Lionino
    I am starting to convince myself that this user is a bot from 2014 reposting the same threads every 2 months.
  • alan1000
    You could be right. And he's still waiting for answers.
  • T Clark
    In the hyperreal number line, it's wrong.alan1000

It's not wrong, it's inapplicable.
  • Michael
    In the hyperreal number line, it's wrong. In this line, 0 is one of the possible values of h, which is defined as a number which, for all values of n, is greater than -n and less than n. From this it follows that any number divided by 0 equals infinity, because 0 is a non-finite value equal to every other value within h. And thereby the calculus is made respectable.alan1000

No.

See division by zero:

In the hyperreal numbers, division by zero is still impossible.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.