• Grre

That makes me sad. I guess I'm speaking from a place of bias because one of my best friends is a biologist and has never looked down on my lack of knowledge/questions, in fact we usually go back and forth, me asking medial/biological questions, and him asking me history/philosophy ones But that undermines the entire point of science does it not? Like someone else highlighted in this question, shouldn't knowledge be treated as some borderline collective activity? In fact, all the knowledge we currently have, in any given field, is because of the intergenerational collective building of information, knowledge, and inquiry... ridiculous that people are so entitled, even when they might have some right to be (ie. via decades of work and time spent). I always try not to be like that, even when I'm faced with people with no real understanding of what philosophy is, or when everyone is just high and talking "pop shop" politics/philosophy. Sometimes I get annoyed, usually by their sheer arrogance, and in those cases I stay quiet, but usually I try to guide the discussion or at the very least, give my two cents.
  • SophistiCat
    "Citizen science" is a thing, and I think scientists, by and large, welcome that. But most good citizen science is just what you might expect someone who is not well versed in the field to be able to do well: grunt work, such as data collection. There's usually a lot of such grunt work in any science, even theoretical physics (though for the latter you would need to have at least some math or computer skills in order to be useful).

Asking questions is another thing. As a nerd by nature, I like picking the brains of scientists and other professionals, and in my experience the response is usually positive at best, neutral at worst.
  • Pantagruel
    Potentially, the internet has the capability to create a whole new set of polymaths, a re-renaissance of the "Renaissance Man" ideal which rapid advances in so many sciences made untenable.

Practically speaking, to me, the question is: Is the internet conducive to rigorous thought? Overwhelmingly, the answer is no. The internet is conducive to reinforcing pre-existing biases. But rooting out and understanding (and thereby mitigating) cognitive biases is a huge part of the philosophical attitude.

So for those who are already disciplined, it makes a formidable tool. Otherwise...
  • god must be atheist
    I actually like the old Greek model even better. I like the idea of research as a lifelong joint project and lifestyleThe Great Whatever

I want female students if I am to teach in the style of joint. If I am to teach in the style of the great classical Greek masters of philosophy. I much don't care for joint research and close proximity with male students.

This what you said, @The Great Whatever, makes sense, and I am not being merely facetious. Integrated learning means integrated lifestyles, and if it involves sex, so be it. But please forgive me, I don't want to sex with male people.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.