• rickyk95
    I just listened to Sam Harris's podcast with Jordan B Peterson, and although the epistemological discussion they were having regarding pragmatism and truth sounded really interesting, I found myself entirely lost after about 45 minutes. Can someone explain to me, in layman terms what pragmatism is?
  • geospiza
    Pragmatism is a uniquely American contribution to philosophy that was first articulated in the latter part of the 1800's and the early part of the 1900's. As a school of thought, it emerged from the ideas of four principal characters: Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., William James, Charles Sanders Peirce, and John Dewey. Though it is difficult to summarize, one key idea pragmatism is known for is its theory of truth. According to pragmatism, the truth of a belief is determined not according to its propositional content, but rather according to its expediency in the achievement of practical results. In other words, the truth of a belief is determined according to its practical usefulness in the attainment of a desired outcome; a "true" belief is a "useful" belief.

Pragmatism was briefly fashionable, followed by a 50 year period of obscurity and, in more recent times, a modest revival.
  • Brian
    Pragmatism is a uniquely American contribution to philosophy that was first articulated in the latter part of the 1800's and the early part of the 1900's. As a school of thought, it emerged from the ideas of four principal characters: Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., William James, Charles Sanders Peirce, and John Dewey. Though it is difficult to summarize, one key idea pragmatism is known for is its theory of truth. According to pragmatism, the truth of a belief is determined not according to its propositional content, but rather according to its expediency in the achievement of practical results. In other words, the truth of a belief is determined according to its practical usefulness in the attainment of a desired outcome; a "true" belief is a "useful" belief.

Pragmatism was briefly fashionable, followed by a 50 year period of obscurity and, in more recent times, a modest revival.
    geospiza

Great summary!

I'm reading Nietzsche at the moment and in certain passages Nietzsche often sounds like a continental pragmatist. Although he takes it a step further - truth is not just useful belief, but a useful fictitious belief. That seems a bridge too far for the classical Pragmatists like CS Perice and William James, but is is obviously very crucial to a more postmodern type pragmatism that we see more recently in schools like that of Rorty.
  • Brian
    I've always found pragmatism fascinating due to its status as kind of the first major American philosophy. American culture is extremely pragmatic, right? We value what works in the "real world" over theoretical speculation with little to no actual pragmatic effects. It feels like SUCH an American school of thought.

And, of course, the computer voice from OK Computer reminds us, "Pragmatism, not Idealism" : )
  • geospiza
    truth is not just useful belief, but a useful fictitious belief. ...crucial to a more postmodern type pragmatism that we see more recently in schools like that of Rorty.Brian

I appreciate the point you are making here, but is not the latter view something more akin to instrumentalism? Strictly speaking, "fictional truth" is an outright contradiction, no?
  • geospiza
    I've always found pragmatism fascinating due to its status as kind of the first major American philosophy. American culture is extremely pragmatic, right? We value what works in the "real world" over theoretical speculation with little to no actual pragmatic effects. It feels like SUCH an American school of thought.Brian

I agree that pragmatism does reflect something of the ingenuity and intellectual frugality that formerly differentiated America from some of its cultural competitors. There is also something embedded in pragmatism that speaks to the relativism that American is also known for. Specifically, the pragmatist theory of truth is utterly subjective.
  • dclements
    I just listened to Sam Harris's podcast with Jordan B Peterson, and although the epistemological discussion they were having regarding pragmatism and truth sounded really interesting, I found myself entirely lost after about 45 minutes. Can someone explain to me, in layman terms what pragmatism is?
    --rickyk95

It's doing what needs to be done, or doing whatever 'works' for you. Of course there are different ideas of 'what needs to be done' or whatever 'works', but if your a 20 to 30 year old who has ever worked a few years in your life you likely have some experience working somewhere where you and others had to focus on just doing something instead of over worrying on HOW or WHY it had to be done.

I guess you can think of it as action or results over ideology, but since it itself is an ideology then I guess you can say it is an ideology which is focused on actions and or results. Also it is worth noting that for some 'ruthless Pragmatism' is thought to be almost the same thing as Machiavellianism so it might useful for you to read up on Machiavellianism in order to understand some of the..aspects of pragmatism. :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment