• Agustino
    Also, you confuse actually being dominant, with feeling confident. The two are ABSOLUTELY not the same.
  • Michael
    Got anything of substance to object to, or just wanna ankle bite?Wosret

I don't understand what you were trying to say about Jordan Peterson and you asking him "about finding a mate" and your mum's blood. Seemed like a nonsensical ramble.
  • Wosret

Nietzsche's friend came to him once after reading thus spoke Zarathustra, telling him that it didn't make any sense to him at all. So he replied "and that is precisely as it should be".
  • Agustino
    I watched it. Not once was there any talk about his effectiveness as a president. All he says is that Trump must be above average intelligence because he was a successful reality TV star and managed to stay working in the construction business.Michael
    And managed to win the Presidency of the U.S. in the circumstances that he won them. So quit playing around, Trump is a lot more effective as a leader than quite possibly 99% of mankind.
  • Michael
    And managed to win the Presidency of the U.S. in the circumstances that he won them. So quit playing around, Trump is a lot more effective as a leader than quite possibly 99% of mankind.Agustino

If all it takes to be an effective leader is to become a leader then every leader is effective.

But, of course, that's not all it takes to be an effective leader. You get shitty leaders all the time. So I'll ask again; what has Trump done as president that shows him to be an effective leader?
  • Terrapin Station
    You haven't watched the whole video. Watch it. It's not about his IQ, it's about his effectiveness, all around, not only in the White House.Agustino

What I consider effectiveness is him getting particular things done--useful/practical things with respect to his constituency, things that positively affect his constituency's everyday lives.

So in light of that, how has he been effective?
  • Agustino
    what has Trump done as president that shows him to be an effective leader?Michael
    It's too early to talk about that yet. Wait till his Presidency finishes, then we can discuss that.

If all it takes to be an effective leader is to become a leader then every leader is effective.Michael
    You have to be a great leader to win a political race to begin with...
  • Agustino
    So in light of that, how has he been effective?Terrapin Station
    Well, he certainly didn't make it easier for you to have sex yet, if that's what you're asking ;)
  • Terrapin Station
    It's too early to talk about that yet.Agustino

If you can't do anything in six months, I don't consider that effective.
  • Michael
    It's too early to talk about that yet. Wait till his Presidency finishes, then we can discuss that.Agustino

Then why did you respond to Terrapin saying "You're writing this in a world where Donald Trump is president" with "Donald Trump has been quite effective, so I'm not sure what you're talking about"? You seem to be suggesting that Donald Trump has been an effective president.

You have to be a great leader to win a political race to begin with...

No you don't. You just have to be good at convincing people to vote for you, and that doesn't require being a great leader.

Edit: Or it can just require enough of the right people opposing your opponent and/or their party, which according to this accounted for 37% of Trump's votes.
  • 0 thru 9
    Then there is the concept of "leading from behind", like a parent watching a child who is running ahead. I could not say better than this:

All streams flow to the sea
    because it is lower than they are.
    Humility gives it its power. If you want to govern the people,
    you must place yourself below them.
    If you want to lead the people,
    you must learn how to follow them. The Master is above the people,
    and no one feels oppressed.
    She goes ahead of the people,
    and no one feels manipulated.
    The whole world is grateful to her.
    Because she competes with no one,
    no one can compete with her.

- chapter 66 of the DaoDeJing
  • Agustino
    You seem to be suggesting that Donald Trump has been an effective president.Michael
    No, I seem to be suggesting his whole life Donald Trump has been very effective.

No you don't. You just have to be good at convincing people to vote for you, and that doesn't require being a great leader.Michael
    Not only. You have to organise the entire campaign, organise rallies, organise strategy, build a team, etc. not that easy mate. If it was that easy, we'd all be running for President.
  • Noble Dust
    All threads flow to The Donald
  • Michael
    The new Godwin's law.

Edit: How relevant.
  • Wosret

What was the first thing that Jesus did when he said that he was going to lead his disciples?
  • Michael
    Paused to take a breath?
  • Terrapin Station
    Not only. You have to organise the entire campaign, organise rallies, organise strategy, build a team, etc. not that easy mate. If it was that easy, we'd all be running for President.Agustino

You can hire someone to do all of that for you.

The biggest barrier to running for president is monetary.
  • Agustino
    The biggest barrier to running for president is monetary.Terrapin Station
    If you're not very smart, you won't get your hand on that money.

Probably if your parents gave you a small loan of $14 million dollars, you'd spend it on bitches on a yacht, not on building a business empire. So yeah. That's why Trump is President, and you're not.
  • Noble Dust
    The biggest barrier to running for president is monetary.Terrapin Station

Yup.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/superpacs.php
  • 0 thru 9
    What was the first thing that Jesus did when he said that he was going to lead his disciples?Wosret
    I forget. The washing of their feet was at the Last Supper, wasn't it? So it is not that...
    Paused to take a breath?Michael
    Lol. Yes, like "Here it goes. I wonder if I should just move to a relaxing seaside villa and reconsider the whole teaching thing" :D
  • Michael
    If you're not very smart, you won't get your hand on that money.

Probably if your parents gave you a small loan of $14 million dollars, you'd spend it on bitches on a yacht, not on building a business empire. So yeah. That's why Trump is President, and you're not.
    Agustino

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/09/03/if-donald-trump-followed-this-really-basic-advice-hed-be-a-lot-richer/?utm_term=.fe560d36413e

Citing an independent evaluation, Business Week put Trump's net worth at $100 million in 1978. Had Trump gotten out of real estate entirely, put his money in an index fund based on the S&P 500 and reinvested the dividends, he'd be worth twice as much -- $6 billion -- today, according to the calculator maintained by the blog Don't Quit Your Day Job.

Trump disputes the independent appraisals of his wealth by Forbes, Business Week (now Bloomberg) and others. He says he is worth about $10 billion today.

Using Trump's preferred estimates of his wealth, he has still performed worse than our hypothetical Main Street retiree. He told The New York Times he was worth $200 million in 1976, an amount that would be worth $12 billion today.

"That a purely un­man­aged in­dex fund’s re­turn could out­per­form Trump’s hands-on wheel­ing and deal­ing calls in­to ques­tion one of Trump’s chief selling points on the cam­paign trail: his busi­ness acu­men," writes S.V. Dáte in National Journal.

Not smart, not a good businessman, and not a good leader.

And slightly unrelated, here's my favourite Trump quote:

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart —you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you’re a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.
  • Terrapin Station
    I'm still waiting for anything Trump has done along the lines of useful/practical things with respect to his constituency, things that positively affect his constituency's everyday lives.
  • Michael
    I'm still waiting for anything Trump has done along the lines of useful/practical things with respect to his constituency, things that positively affect his constituency's everyday lives.Terrapin Station

He turns them off Republicans, pushing them to vote for Democrats who in turn will do better things for the country? ;)
  • Terrapin Station
    He turns them off Republicans, pushing them to vote for Democrats who in turn will do better things for the country?Michael

I don't have any love for Democrats, either. I'd like to see the whole system trashed.
  • Wosret

It is that... though you're right.. it didn't happen at the beginning of the story... did my arrogance blind you?
  • 0 thru 9

Lol! Actually, He may have had to wash their feet every day like messy children. They kept stepping in donkey manure. :o
  • Wosret

Shouldn't just repeat stuff you don't understand to look a certain way.
  • Mongrel
    I think it's true because there is a One Punch Man, but there is no One Punch Woman. The evidence is clear.
  • 0 thru 9
    ↪0 thru 9

Shouldn't just repeat stuff you don't understand to look a certain way.
    Wosret
    Probably! But wouldn't that eliminate 97% of this forum? :D
  • Wosret

Men are all ugly though... can't have everything...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.