• Janus
    Fair enough but I have settled upon the belief that the "stuff" of minding is neither the stuff of the body (as in organic matter) nor even of its nature or being.ENOAH

Now, I would say there's no "stuff" of mind or minding, because it is an activity, and as such is merely conceptual unless it is equated with brain processes. That said, there is a sense in which the same could be said not only of mental, but also physical processes, and also of all entities whatsoever, including the body, since this is all notional.

I'm pressed for time right now but intend to return to address some of your other thoughts.
  • ENOAH
    The concept of the self which we, in the so called western tradition, seem to cling to, is plainly a "fiction" blinding us to reality.

Picture the biosphere where you can see the air flowing into and out of every living creature, shared as if it were the unified being, all of the creatures, just its "offspring" or manifestations; mobile or planted, land air or sea.

It is only because of the attachment to this mechanism, the "I", which doesn't even participate in the air, that we, among all of the creatures, question whether or not nature is one. Clinging, as we are, not to the real unifier, but to the Fictional one, the Subject which connects the, thought, feelings, or actions to both mind and body, by making them seem as one, and unique from all others.
  • ENOAH
    I would say there's no "stuff" of mind or minding, because it is an activity, and as such is merely conceptual unless it is equated with brain processes.Janus

Agreed. I hope I too was prudent enough to put "stuff" in quotations to highlight that it is not really stuff at all but, stuff-ing.
  • Janus
    It seems to be "stuff-ing" all the way down, but then that's the nature of thought I guess. Maybe it's really "nuff-ing" all the way down, and really no way down to boot.

To be serious, though, I think the realest things in human life are those things that are universally valued; love, freedom. knowledge, wisdom, creativity...
  • ENOAH
    universally valued; love, freedom. knowledge, wisdom, creativity...Janus

Agreed
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.