• substantivalism
    None of them are evidence based as you've been mislead by the preferences of others who have strapped such interpretations to useful epicycles.

The language and metaphor that we use to talk about the concept(s) of time is multifaceted coming from all parts of one's personal experiences incorporating our most deeply held phenomenological biases. Visual experiences motivate the idea of thinking of time as similar to a film strip in that there is an already existent future waiting to be projected while the past has long since been done away with (spot-light view of time). That or we think of time as similar in nature to a substance that has a beginning and end to itself without any change except the illusory irrelevant scanning of our eyes across the length of such a block (the block view of time). Then our own experiences involving cultural biases seem to motivate other philosophies of time such as the growing block from talk of the past as already having happened (it being 'behind' us) while leaving the future unwritten.

I'm fearful that this implies that the choice of one's language is then not a matter of ontology but pragmatic, aesthetic, choice depending on your intentions as to what you desire to do with it. Block theories of time are favored by those of mathematical bents because they allow us to freeze the world into determinate, precise, states to record down mathematical relations among the curves within it. While esoteric philosophies emphasizing the irreducibility of the language of change or who talk about 'rivers of time' rather than film strips will be favored among those closest to Human experience.
  • Truth Seeker
    That's so interesting. Thank you for sharing your insights about time. According to physicists, time is not on its own, it exists as spacetime.
  • Barkon
    Time is definitely negative, and there is a relationship between the negative and the positive.
  • Truth Seeker
    Time is definitely negative, and there is a relationship between the negative and the positive.Barkon

I don't understand what you mean. Please explain how time is negative.
  • Barkon
    The only thing we do with time is relate to it.

• Truth Seeker
    The only thing we do with time is relate to it.Barkon

I have never related to time. In what way do you relate to time?
  • Barkon
    if I asked you 'how long did it take you to make this post', you would then express a relation to time, '10 seconds', from your own perspective of its negativity.
  • Truth Seeker
    if I asked you 'how long did it take you to make this post', you would then express a relation to time, '10 seconds', from your own perspective of its negativity.Barkon

I agree that I can measure how much time it takes to do something but how is that negative? 10 seconds is just an amount of time.
  • Barkon
    you are measuring ticks on a clock, in relation to time.
  • Barkon
    If things are expressed in relation to it, but not of it, then it only follows that it is an opposite, negative part of all of the universe.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.