• 180 Proof
    ↪180 Proof That seems to be a very good account of moralityTom Storm
    Thanks.

I recall Slavoj Žižek making the entirely reasonable riposte that, 'If there is a God, then anything is permitted'.
    Like e.g. absolute ends justify/excuses all relative means (Biblical / Quranic theodicy); "teleological suspension of the ethical" (Kierkegaard); etc ... but (iirc) it was Camus (or Voltaire) who said something like even godlessness does not imply that nothing is prohibited as a riposte to traditions of theologically rationalizing atrocities committed "in the name of God".

Do you think that the development of morality is a significant aspect of our evolutionary trajectory?
    Yes, I think morality as such, like language, gives our species some adaptive advantages.

a world where there are no absolutesFire Ologist
    Nature might not be "absolute" but for all natural beings, including we humans, Nature is sovereign and inescapable.
  • Lionino
    Yes, I think morality as such, like language, gives our species some adaptive advantages.180 Proof

All one needs to do is think of a society where murder within one's tribe is not punished. I can't reach any conclusion other than this being a huge evolutionary disadvantage for that group.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.