• ssu
    As the debate on current political developments can get heated, the thread on Isreali-Palestinian conflict "Israel killing civilians in Gaza and the West Bank" and the thread on the Ukrainian war "Ukraine Crisis", yet also the Climate change thread "Climate Change (General Discussion)" were put to the Lounge as the forum didn't seem to be anymore a Philosophy site as especially the two first ones kepts always very active. So I totally agreed with the move.

Now I noticed this "Politics and Current Affairs" place, which I've always wanted. Could these threads be put to this place where I think they would be logically far better home for them?

And the Lounge could be ...the Lounge.
  • Lionino
    It is a good idea but I think threads on that section still show up on the main page.
  • Tzeentch
    I'd be in favor of it, but only if the threads are properly moderated for low-quality content.

Right now, these threads belong in the Lounge because the quality of the posts is, for a large part, dogshit.
  • ssu
    It is a good idea but I think threads on that section still show up on the main page.Lionino
    How about if they would show up on the main page after or separately fro the Philosophy related articles? We have the Shoutbox there in the up? Why not a link to "non-philosophical" stuff?

Because now you do have a peculiar aspect: if some thread is very active, let's say like "Climate Change", then it's put to lounge. Otherwise those threads in the "Interesting stuff / Politics and Current Affairs" is months old threads.

I fully understand that this should be a philosophy forum. The basic fact should be that at the main site you don't even now have all discussions even if it says all "All discussions". Just a link to "other interesting stuff" would be in my view OK, and then these non-philosophical threads would appear. They really don't have to be at the first site when somebody wanders into the forum. Or then the threads that aren't philosophical would appear lower on the screen, for example the last four active ones, but clearly separate from the philosophical threads.

Now you simply have to look at the "all discussions" page and then check the Lounge for other active threads that aren't philosophy, but quite active. And that's basically inside information.
  • ssu
    I'd be in favor of it, but only if the threads are properly moderated for low-quality content.Tzeentch
    In politics, really, how are you going to moderate that? If someone doesn't follow the site guidelines, that's it, those are the guidelines. Otherwise someone might looking at the level of political discourse make the argument that everything in some heated political debate is low-quality.

Don't assume current political rhetoric has already hit the lowest point. Never underestimate the stupidity it can reach.
  • Lionino
    How about if they would show up on the main page after or separately fro the Philosophy related articles? We have the Shoutbox there in the up? Why not a link to "non-philosophical" stuff?ssu

That sounds like a good suggestion. But from my experience in websites, I doubt owners will implement it, since the main page has links only to threads and not to sections.
  • ssu
    Well, then I guess how about "Heated Political Discussions" category? With enough bitter disargeement and near flaming, a thread would get there.

Actually a philosophical debate would be interesting to get into that category (of Heated Discussions). :wink:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.