• Mikie
    I see a pattern among members who aren’t that bright but who want to sound bright: claim everything is a “fallacy,” and use the phrase “That isn’t an argument” — like a magic wand, just wave it over anything you don’t like, can’t understand, or can’t engage with.

It sounds very authoritative, doesn’t it? “That’s not an argument.” It strikes me as a person imitating someone who uses it appropriately, but who really doesn’t understand the implications. Like doing an impression.

“That’s a fallacy of xyz”

“That’s not an argument!”

As if they’re the final arbiters because they just took freshman logic.

What a waste of time— I’d like to see this stupid shit go away.
  • Mikie
    Oh, and to clarify:

An argument is the presenting of reasons/evidence for a claim or conclusion. Really that simple.
  • unenlightened
    Yeah, but that's not an argument.
  • Mikie

:rofl: Too bad for me!
  • unenlightened
    I almost never make arguments; I prefer analysis, explanation, analogy, illustration, even pontification.
  • AmadeusD
    Thanks for this waste of time, Mikie. Very well done.
  • Mikie
    I prefer analysis, explanation, analogy, illustration, even pontification.unenlightened

You excel at 1/5th of those! :wink:
  • L'éléphant
    I see a pattern among members who aren’t that bright but who want to sound bright: claim everything is a “fallacy,” and use the phrase “That isn’t an argument” — like a magic wand, just wave it over anything you don’t like, can’t understand, or can’t engage with.Mikie
    There is nothing wrong with pointing out a fallacy or saying "that's not an argument" so long as they at least offer an explanation for their comments.

But I sometimes would call out a post and drop something like that (and not provide the reason for my comment) -- but this is only because I know that poster is smart enough to get my point.
  • Mikie
    There is nothing wrong with pointing out a fallacy or saying "that's not an argument" so long as they at least offer an explanation for their comments.L'éléphant

Sorry, but simply saying there is nothing wrong with it is not an argument.

:wink:
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    I see a pattern among members who aren’t that bright but who want to sound bright: claim everything is a “fallacy,” and use the phrase “That isn’t an argument” — like a magic wand, just wave it over anything you don’t like, can’t understand, or can’t engage with.Mikie

What a waste of time— I’d like to see this stupid shit go away.Mikie

oyxiipdao3d0aap7.png

Oh the irony. It burns. It burns.

These comments come from a person who never addresses the issues that are raised, and who calls the person raising the issues a "denier" (similar to saying "that isn’t an argument"). There is no explanation given. Is Mikie a member who isn't that bright, but who wants to sound bright? The label "denier" is used like a magic wand, just wave it over anything you don’t like, can’t understand, or can’t engage with. What a waste of time— I’d like to see this stupid shit go away.
  • Sir2u
    I see a pattern among members who aren’t that bright but who want to sound bright: claim everything is a “fallacy,” and use the phrase “That isn’t an argument” — like a magic wand, just wave it over anything you don’t like, can’t understand, or can’t engage with.

It sounds very authoritative, doesn’t it? “That’s not an argument.” It strikes me as a person imitating someone who uses it appropriately, but who really doesn’t understand the implications. Like doing an impression.

“That’s a fallacy of xyz”

As if they’re the final arbiters because they just took freshman logic.

What a waste of time— I’d like to see this stupid shit go away.
    a day ago

Oh, and to clarify:

An argument is the presenting of reasons/evidence for a claim or conclusion. Really that simple.
    Mikie

Could you, just for conveniences sake, point out exactly what your argument is here. I might be wrong but I think you skipped directly to the conclusion which means, wait for it...........

• RogueAI
    “That’s not an argument”
    Am I the only who was reminded of Crocodile Dundee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vW54lAtldI&ab_channel=Movieclips
  • Vera Mont
    Why is everybody expected to argue about everything all the time anyway?
    Oh yes, I remember: "This is a philosophy forum." and "That's begging the question."
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    Why is everybody expected to argue about everything all the time anyway?Vera Mont

A man logs in to "The Philosophy Forum".
    Man: Ah. I'd like to philosophize, please.
    Mikie: What do YOU want?
    Man: Well, I would like to ask some questions about climate change...
    Mikie: Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings! You are obviously a "DENIER".
    Man: What?
    Mikie: You are a selfish jerk. You have been sucked in by the oil companies. I wouldn't be surprised if you were being paid to deny things.
    Man: But I came here to philosophize.
    Mikie: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!
  • Vera Mont

That really isn't an argument.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    That really isn't an argument.Vera Mont

Yes it is !!!
  • Vera Mont
    Yes it is !!!Agree-to-Disagree

Very well reasoned, too; compelling.
  • Mikie
    "That's begging the question."Vera Mont

Oh god, yes. I nearly forgot about that one. How many people who use “begging the question” actually know what it means? Maybe 10%, in my experience. The one’s who do understand it almost never use it.

I think people just like trotting out terms they think come from “philosophy.” About the only thing that occurs regularly is strawmaning, which isn’t so complicated.
  • Vera Mont
    How many people who use “begging the question” actually know what it means?Mikie
    They usually mean something like : "That gives rise to another question"
    I let it slide, even from people who quote irrelevant swathes of Wittgenstein at me, because the original meaning is poorly named. Probably clumsy translation from ancient Greek or summut. I would very much prefer they accused me of circular reasoning, because I can at least refute that.

In fact, " raise a question or point that has not been dealt with; invite an obvious question." is listed by online Oxford as the #1 definition now,
    while the fallacy "assume the truth of an argument or proposition to be proved, without arguing it" has slipped to #2.
  • Lionino
    I disagree.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    I disagree.Lionino

Who are you disagreeing with?

Or do you disagree with everyone? :grin:
  • Lionino
    From your questions it is clear that you just don't get it. Let's agree-to-disagree.
  • Sir2u
    Why is everybody expected to argue about everything all the time anyway?Vera Mont

Nobody is expected to argue about anything, but everyone is expected to provide arguments for their points of view, beliefs and the statements they make.
  • Sir2u
    ↪Sir2u

:scream:
    Mikie

Let me try again.

An argument is the presenting of reasons/evidence for a claim or conclusion. Really that simple.Mikie

Everything you said in the OP are statements of things you believe to be true, but there is no prof of what you say. Are we expected to just take your word for it that everything you say is true?
  • Mikie

:yawn:

Don’t overthink it. This is an opinion piece. Or better: a rant piece in which I express my annoyance at stupid bullshit.
  • L'éléphant
    Sorry, but simply saying there is nothing wrong with it is not an argument.Mikie
    Lol. I was making an opinion, not an argument. Taste is always an opinion, and everyone is entitled to one. :wink:
  • Vera Mont
    Nobody is expected to argue about anything, but everyone is expected to provide arguments for their points of view, beliefs and the statements they make.Sir2u

Every statement? Every POV? Every belief?
    Conversations could get really, really cumbersome. How be, we just provide links to authoritative sources for statements of fact, acknowledge our personal opinion, belief or perspective, and provide arguments only for philosophical positions?
  • Mikie

Just fucking with you.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.