• Arbü1237
    I have a hint of a clue but I can’t make up my mind on a definition. I’m new to philosophy and I have this question. Is there any books on creativity I should know about?
  • Arbü1237
    “Unusual” I can understand but “original” seems unimportant. I can be creative with redundant resources. Creative seems like a quality or some possession that attributes unusual and original actions. Creativity is like the bulb and the work is the light it produces.
  • Beverley
    “Unusual” I can understand but “original” seems unimportant.Arbü1237

Does anybody produce 'original' ideas?
  • Philosophim
    Creativity is the ability to come up with ideas that few if any other people come up with. Positive creativity results in a new idea that other people like or benefit from. You can be creative, but it doesn't mean your idea will resonate with others or contribute beyond the fact that its original.
  • Lionino
    “original” seems unimportantArbü1237

If you are not original, you are not creating.

Creative seems like a quality or some possession that attributes unusual and original actions. Creativity is like the bulb and the work is the light it produces.Arbü1237

Creative and creativity are the same word but with different morphological classifications, like beautiful and beautifully, wind and windy.
  • Arbü1237
    Open-minded seems important to creative definition.
  • Vera Mont
    It's the ability - and willingness - to look at the world, or something in the world, from an unusual perspective and to rearrange that perception and translate it into a medium in a form that communicates the different perspective to other people. I realize that's not a very good sentence; I was trying to avoid 'originality' and 'novelty'.
    There is nothing new under the sun; there are no ideas that nobody's ever had. You will never make anything completely different from everything that's been done been before. Creativity is more like being a kaleidoscope; reconfiguring what already exists in a new arrangement.
  • punos

All creation or creativity involves assembling elements in novel configurations. Now, how to do it well? Some suggestions:

Consider looking to nature, and observe her creative process, where existing elements are amalgamated, fused, or 'accreted' to form new entities such as atoms, stars, planets, molecules, cells, etc. Similarly, human creativity follows this pattern, albeit with thoughts as the building blocks that are 'accreted' together to generate innovative ideas and creations.

Long ago, i came across a story about an alchemist who employed a creativity technique consisting of two phases. The initial stage, was the absorption phase, and it involved the alchemist immersing himself entirely in his chosen subject. This entailed extensive reading and engaging with individuals possessing knowledge or insights related to his area of interest. This immersive phase typically lasted several months. The subsequent phase involved deep contemplation, reflection, and experimentation, during which the alchemist meticulously pondered all the information gathered during the absorption phase. It was within this contemplative stage that he purportedly experienced moments of creative inspiration and innovation.

Furthermore, adopt a multidisciplinary approach. Explore how seemingly unrelated concepts can intertwine with your creative pursuits. Embracing diverse perspectives and fields of study can often lead to unique and innovative solutions.

Most importantly have fun with it. Play with ideas as a child plays with toys, and new things will begin to occur to you. Also, always listen to your intuition, and don't let anyone shutdown your intuition; learn to listen to it closely and carefully.
  • jkop
    a definitionArbü1237

In some contexts it's sufficient to be original or unusual in some way, for example skilled, insightful, inventive. A creative person is not necessarily productive, nor successful.

But there's been a professionalization of the word 'creative', and there's a "creative class" of people working in advertisement, design, entertainment etc. The creativity of these guys is defined by how much stuff or content they produce, exhibit, publish or by how much influence they have or how much money they earn.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.