• EricH
    Actual interaction with the world that requires sense input from the sense organs is specifically excluded from the body of analytic knowledge.PL Olcott

A 128-bit integer GUID refers to a single unique sense meaning, thus the class living animal {dog} has its own unique GUID.PL Olcott

I still can't make any sense out of this. What is the difference between a "sense input" and a "sense meaning"? The only way we can even know that there are such things as dogs is through sense input.
  • PL Olcott
    I still can't make any sense out of this. What is the difference between a "sense input" and a "sense meaning"? The only way we can even know that there are such things as dogs is through sense input.EricH

I am providing the means for a computer to compute Boolean True(L, x) where L is a language such as English and x is an expression of that language. When I show how this can be coherently accomplished then the Tarski Undefinability Theorem is refuted.
  • EricH
    When I show how this can be coherently accomplished then the Tarski Undefinability Theorem is refuted.PL Olcott

This is a very ambitious project - if you succeed then the name PL Olcott will become world famous.

But so far I can't make any sense of what you're saying - this is why I'm trying to get some basic terminology clear. I'll ask again. What is the difference between a "sense input" and a "sense meaning"?
  • PL Olcott
    But so far I can't make any sense of what you're saying - this is why I'm trying to get some basic terminology clear. I'll ask again. What is the difference between a "sense input" and a "sense meaning"?EricH

That you can hear dogs actually barking with your ears is a sense input from your
    ears to your mind. Hearing dogs bark is the sense meaning of "dogs bark". These
    things cannot be expressed using words thus are not Analytic(Olcott).

“Analytic” sentences, such as “Pediatricians are doctors,” have historically been characterized as ones that are true by virtue of the meanings of their words alone and/or can be known to be so solely by knowing those meanings. The Analytic/Synthetic Distinction

When we exclude those aspects of meanings such as the actual sound of dogs barking and include every element of human general knowledge that can be expressed using words expressly including that some “Pediatricians are rich” then we have the subset of human knowledge that can be processed by a computer program.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.