• Mikie
    What do you do to stay healthy? Routines? Diets, exercise plans? Looking for some new ideas— I’m stagnating over here.

(Philosophy enthusiasts probably aren’t the best group to ask, but what the hell.)
  • Tom Storm
    It's an interesting question, particularly for the older male.

My routine is boring but effective.

I have never been inside a gym or partaken in any sport (apart from Karate for several years when young). I used to drink a lot of booze and if I had kept it up, I would probably be dead by now. So I quit alcohol in my late 40's. I quit smoking at 39. I'm 57.

I got rid of my car so I walk most places. I live in the middle of my city, so this is easy. I almost never eat cakes, chocolate, candies, desserts or drink sodas (soft drinks). I eat two meals a day (no breakfast, which has always been a preference). I do some stretching exercises each day for my back. I have a couple of prolapsed discs which have needed no intervention for years, thanks to the stretching. I taught myself to stand up from the floor without touching anything. Not easy. I try to avoid processed foods and sugar and I eat a lot of greens and drink mainly water. I weigh the same as I did when I was 20.

Unfortunately, these days when I go to for walks with people my age, I often have to slow down and take a break so they can catch up. Many of my friends seem to be overweight, slow and sweaty. The food choices and health issues can become conspicuous post 50.
  • 180 Proof
    FWIW, I walk 3-5 miles every day (weather permitting) as the entirety of my exercise regimen; other than water, daily I drink a pot of strong black tea; I try to stick to a strict 2-meals-a-day low carb, low fat, red meat-free, salt-free & sugar-free diet (except once or twice a week I have some dark chocolate) with fruit/veggie snacks; I take my meds & suppliments; and (unfortunately) I've been completely sober & recreational drugs-free since 2019.

Also, a very low-stress lifestyle since 2022 has helped immensely.

Even though I've slimmed down to my high school weight and waistline, I still look like a "linebacker" and a decade or so younger than 60 (even more so clean shaven). All things considered, given that I wasn't taking care of my health for decades and hard living/partying into my mid-50s, I am very fortunate today to feel as healthy as I do most days. These last years my healthy routines have been quite boring but I've learned not to be bored with this boring – feature, not bug, of – life.

:death: :flower:
  • Mikie
    I try to avoid processed foods and sugar and I eat a lot of greens and drink mainly water. I weigh the same as I did when I was 20.Tom Storm

Thanks for the reply. This stood out to me in particular. That’s quite an achievement — weighing the same as 20 takes real effort.

I need to lay off the starchy carbs and processed foods even more than I do. I think my main problem is overeating though.

walk a 3-5 miles every day180 Proof

I would do that if I had a decent place to walk. My neighborhood is too boring, and I think it would take me too long. I walk with my wife though — maybe 10 minutes. Not enough, so I do HIIT training— maybe 10 minutes worth — and then I feel like I’ve actually pushed myself.

Anyway — your routine is very disciplined. Good for you!
  • jgill
    I was a gymnast in the 1950s and a rock climber up until the early 2000s. Never smoked, never used drugs, but used to have a highball or two every other day up 'til around 2000 when I retired.

Now, at 86, I still do some pull-ups and short hill walking every few days. But I have arthritis all over my body, so I am recently using a cane. I continue minor mathematical explorations. You remember what Sachel said . . . :cool:
  • jkop
    I dance lindyhop. It's a fun dance from the 1920s-40s to swing jazz and bebop. Nowadays there are regular social dances, courses, camps, and competitions world wide. One good thing about it is that it doesn't feel like exercising, more like partying, yet a whole nights dancing (4-5 hours) is comparable to running a marathon. And it's social.
  • Vera Mont
    I don't do much anymore, for various reasons.
    We stopped eating meat some 40 years ago, which forced me to be creative with vegetables, pulses and tofu - found Eastern dishes very helpful, and there are excellent cookbooks. More and more meatless products are available all the time, so it gets easier and I can do less work.
    My SO is diabetic, so a diet heavy on greens and nuts is particularly good for him.
    He also walks as much as arthritis permits and is very disciplined keeping his weight down.
    Coffee and tea in moderation; limited sugar and salt; fats pretty much restricted to judicious amounts of vegetable oil and margarine. We don't go overboard: a well controlled daily diet allows for some indulgences, like processed vegetarian products, chocolate, things like pizza or cheesecake when we go out to out to eat and social occasions.
  • AmadeusD
    Jiu jitsu!!
  • Mikie
    Now, at 86, I still do some pull-ups and short hill walking every few days. But I have arthritis all over my body, so I am recently using a cane. I continue minor mathematical explorations. You remember what Sachel said . . .jgill

Satchel Paige? Something about not looking back…

Anyway, the simple act of walking really has its benefits. I’m seeing that more and more as I get older. Used to laugh about all the walking talk as a child. Now I feel like if I stop, I’ll barely be able to move. Like any skill, it’s something that can get rusty.

I dance lindyhop.jkop

Never heard of it— thanks for bringing it to my attention!

fats pretty much restricted to judicious amounts of vegetable oil and margarine.Vera Mont

Not olive oil? I’m surprised.

Jiu jitsu!!AmadeusD

I do Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Very trendy now adays so it’s easy to find. Used to do shotokan in college. A good supplement to strength and cardio training, definitely.
  • Vera Mont
    Not olive oil? I’m surprised.Mikie

We're not health-freaks, foodies, purists or particularly well off. Besides, it burns too easily.
  • Lionino
    Strenght training. Cooking my meals. Biking to places I need to go (under 10km).
  • L'éléphant
    Avoid getting any virus -- you may think that it's just like a common cold: everybody gets it and it goes away. Viruses are different. They actually have a long term after-effect in your brain years down the road.

Strenght training. Cooking my meals. Biking to places I need to go (under 10km).Lionino
    This is all you need to do.
  • Mikie
    Finally got it down to a decent routine. Here’s my current schedule (in case you want to doze off):

(A) Mondays:

- squats
    - military press
    - rows
    - dynamic lunges

Tuesday:

- carries
    - core workout
    - HIIT training

(B) wednesday:

- Deadlifts
    - bench press
    - static lunges
    - pullups (or lat pulldowns)

Thursday: same as Tuesday

Friday: same as Monday.

SAT and SUN: Rest days.

I rotate so that I do B twice a week and then back to A and so on.

It SUCKS! But it’s been worthwhile
  • Christoffer

I avoid ultra processed food and take care with good quality sources for the food I eat.

England is a perfect example of what happens when ultra processed food has been mainstreamed so hard that it starts to kill its citizens. Avoid ultra processed food at all costs.
  • Mikie
    Avoid ultra processed food at all costs.Christoffer

:up:

What counts as ultra-processed?
  • Christoffer
    What counts as ultra-processed?Mikie

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/ultra-processed-foods

An example list by ChatGPT:

Chicken nuggets
    Frozen meals
    Hot dogs
    Packaged soups
    Potato chips
    Soft drinks
    Sweetened breakfast cereals
    Packaged bread and buns
    Industrial pastries and cakes
    Pre-packaged pies and pasta dishes
    Margarine and spreads
    Ice cream and dairy-based desserts
    Processed cheese products
    Flavored milk drinks
    Instant noodles and soups
    Processed meats such as sausages, salami, and bacon
    Microwave popcorn
    Store-bought cookies and biscuits
    Candy bars
    Artificially sweetened beverages
    Flavored yogurts high in sugar
    Ready-to-eat snacks like pretzels and flavored crackers
  • jgill
    Finally got it down to a decent routine. Here’s my current schedule (in case you want to doze offMikie

Good for you. Keep it up. When you are very old something may knock you down, then as you try to recover, doctors will find something else. A downward spiral difficult to pull out of.
  • Mikie

Injuries can definitely hamper progress.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    I walk a dog for about 2.5 hours daily. It is not my dog. The dog's owner is an elderly lady who walks with a walking frame. So I walk her dog for her.

I have suffered from depression in the past and if I don't have a required reason to go out then I usually stay at home. The dog gives me a reason to get up and get going. The walking gets me outside and gives me exercise, fresh air, sunshine, etc, We often walk on the beach.

Walking with a dog also gives you an excuse to talk to people. If I didn't have the dog with me then I wouldn't talk to anybody. The dog gives me unconditional love.

The only problem with this type of exercise is that the dog does a lot of sniffing and we don't move very fast.
  • javi2541997
    Walking with a dog also gives you an excuse to talk to people. If I didn't have the dog with me then I wouldn't talk to anybody. The dog gives me unconditional love.Agree-to-Disagree

I walk my dog every morning. Apart from her unconditional love for me, and the sense of peace it produces in me to walk with her in the chaotic city, I appreciate the lack of contact with other humans, precisely. You say you are more able to talk with other people because you walk with your dog. Maybe you are referring to other dog owners...

I try to avoid groups of people because it gives me anxiety, and walking with my dog makes me feel I am protected by a bubble.

I walk a dog for about 2.5 hours daily.Agree-to-Disagree

I wish I could walk more than just an hour with my dog. She is a small-dog breed, and she tends to get tired early...
  • jgill
    The only problem with this type of exercise is that the dog does a lot of sniffing and we don't move very fastAgree-to-Disagree

Be tolerant and thankful for a furry companion. :cool:
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    You say you are more able to talk with other people because you walk with your dog. Maybe you are referring to other dog owners...javi2541997

Talking to other dog owners is easy because you have a common interest. But I am talking about other people as well. The dog that I walk is a smallish black spoodle called Molly. She is probably about 30 cm at the shoulder. She looks very cute and she loves people.

There are a lot of cafes around the beach where we often walk. She checks under the tables and chairs to try and find food. If there are people sitting at a table then Molly will go straight up to them and they will pet her. You can see the joy on the faces of these people. It makes me feel good to see Molly making people happy.

I try to avoid groups of people because it gives me anxiety, and walking with my dog makes me feel I am protected by a bubble.javi2541997

I suffer from social anxiety but walking with Molly (the dog) reduces that anxiety a lot.

I wish I could walk more than just an hour with my dog. She is a small-dog breed, and she tends to get tired early...javi2541997

Molly is about 9 years old and I am in my mid 60's. I get tired before she does. We walk at her speed with plenty of sniffing and we rest whenever she wants to. Molly is an apartment dog so I try to give her as much variety as possible.
  • Agree-to-Disagree
    The only problem with this type of exercise is that the dog does a lot of sniffing and we don't move very fast
    — Agree-to-Disagree

Be tolerant and thankful for a furry companion. :cool:
    jgill

I am extremely grateful for my furry companion. She is an apartment dog so I try to give her as much variety as possible. I want her to enjoy all of the things that dogs enjoy. Not moving very fast is not really a problem. It gives me time to enjoy my surroundings. :cool:
  • Lionino
    Interesting split you got there. Most people typically don't do more than two compound lifts in a single day.

I would put lunges together with squat for increase in quad size.
  • Lionino
    Since we are sharing splits, here is my PPLU for 4 times a week:

Incline bench press
    Leg extension machine
    Cable flat press
    Chest press machine // calve machine
    Tricep extension // lateral raises
    French press

Pull-ups
    Leg curl machine
    Row
    Barbell bicep curl
    Face-pulls // Abs on cables
    Hammer curls

Squats
    Romanian deadlift
    Leg press 45º // lateral raises
    Leg curl machine // hammer curl
    Leg extension machine // sissy squats

Light flat bench
    Bicep curl // abs
    Incline dumbbell press (deep)
    Lateral raises // tricep ext
    Shoulder raises cable // hammer curl
    French presss

If I am out of time, I cut the U out and keep PPL 3 times a week.
  • Mikie

Nice. Although I don’t love leg extension machines…
  • Lionino
    Although I don’t love leg extension machines…Mikie

It really depends on the machine for me. The one at my gym uses cable tension for weight (it is digital), but the seat is nicely padded and the angle hits just right, good stretch too. Some gyms I have been to however have horrible leg ext machines.
  • Hanover
    I put a tree trunk on my shoulder and run up and down the Alps each morning. I missed a day a few years ago when I pulled a hammy, but other than that, 24/7/365.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.