• anonymous66
    I've been reading Plato's dialogues. And I love the way Socrates is portrayed. Has anyone else ever tried to follow his example and listen to the Daimon?

The Stoics write about it.... Hadot mentions it in reference to the Stoics in Philosophy as a Way of Life, and in the Inner Citadel.

Chrysippus said that the happy life is one in which everything is done in accordance with the harmony between the daimon within each one of us and the will of the governor of the universe.

from The Inner Citadel:

"Marcus [Aurelius] asserts that we must carry out the will of the daimon which God has given us, as though we had to do with a reality which transcends us." But, Hadot believed that Marcus thought of the daimon as his own rational self, his own intellect.

"Everything becomes clear if we replace the word daimon by 'reason.'' "...reason for the Stoics is part of universal divine Reason; it was given to us by the latter, and we must do what reason wishes. On the other hand, however, our reason may become corrupted, and we must therefore take care to preserve it against every attack. This celestial gift is a fragile one."

"Here, however, we come face to face with with paradox of moral life, for the self identifies itself with a transcendent Reason which is simultaneously above it and identical with it; it is the case of 'Someone within me, more myself than myself.'"
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.