• TiredThinker
    Is it like George Carlon's joke about new and improved?
  • Nils Loc
    Relative to whatever boundary or place marker you're concerned with.

Where is the topographic feature, the limit, the declaration, by which we can wonder what lies beyond.
  • TiredThinker
    Indeed. But people usually don't mention this border between the here and the beyond.
  • Vera Mont
    But people usually don't mention this border between the here and the beyond.TiredThinker

They do, though. The phrase is applied in specific contexts, such as "above and beyond the call of duty", which means that the soldier or police officer performed some action that took exertion, courage or sacrifice above what can be normally expected, and beyond the confines of their job description: ie, something both more and better than they were required to do.
  • TiredThinker

What is expected of a person isn't always clear, and many people's duties are to do what needs to be done.
  • Vera Mont
    What is expected of a person isn't always clear, and many people's duties are to do what needs to be done.TiredThinker

Okay. I will endeavour to abide by unspecified expectations and do whatever needs to be done." Is that the agreement you sign when you accept a new job?
  • TiredThinker

I don't sign anything. Lol.
  • Vera Mont

I should have guessed. However, ordinary people, when they accept a job, have defined duties and responsibilities, usually a comprehensive job description and some idea of company policy regarding what employees are permitted, expected and empowered to do.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.