• LuckyR
    LuckyR who is attacking me and why ? Seriously what are you talking about are people looking to eat me if I show to little or to much emotion

I stipulated "in competitive environments". That's the arena I'm speaking about. If you don't compete against others, then my commentary doesn't apply.
  • 0 thru 9

I think that a general approach to one’s life that is accepting and tolerant of human nature is a good start, at the very least.

We can never really get rid of basic aspects of our existence, like emotions and feelings, we can only repress the feelings in the effort to eliminate them.
    It is a truism that repressed feelings are more harmful to one’s peace of mind (sanity) than those that are not repressed.

But of course, we don’t want to be servants to the whims of our capricious emotions.
    Stoicism and Eastern systems encourage an awareness of everything, with calmness and equanimity as a goal.
    It represents the golden mean of being aware of feelings, while having the ability to decide the best way to express or communicate them… or to ‘keep it to ourselves’.

I have the idea (or personal conspiracy theory lol) that most of the desires we have to change our very natures, or to ‘rise above our animal origins’ or such, have been implanted in us by cultural forces that are acting in their best interests, not ours. (If one could personify such things).
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.