Choice

12Next
  • TimeLine
    Please answer the question and stop quibbling.woodart

I was, at the time, enjoying a hearty breakfast. Then, I moved on to writing. Now, I am about to have lunch, but I realised that there is nothing in my fridge, so a nice walk in the sunshine to the shops to buy some groceries is on the agenda. I must apologise, but I don't actually remember you asking a question. Could you repeat it for me please?
  • T Clark
    You are a human being and as such require a number of daily nutrients to ensure optimal health and therefore what you ingest should rationally point you into the direction of foods that would enable this, but your 'mouth watered' at the idea of eating shrimp pizza, what will provide you with the pleasurable stimuli that therein also contains minimal nutrients and probably an overload of unnecessary energy. It makes no sense and your impulse to eat it was due to this immediate and albeit fleeting pleasure.TimeLine

You seem to be explaining why I made the choice I made or why I should have made it, but I don't see how that is relevant as to whether what I did was or wasn't a choice, which is the subject on the table.

Also, why didn't I think of that - shrimp pizza.
  • Michael Ossipoff

Someone here quoted Schopenhauer as saying:

"We can do what we will, but we can't will what we will."

He was right.

And, because the determinism of our choices is obvious, even from our own point of view, I'd suggest that the answer to the free-will question is "No free will".

Michael Ossipoff
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.