• Mikie
    We all think we’re special. We usually get our sense of specialness from some characteristic we take pride in. We make claims — to ourselves and to others — about these characteristics. We can go most of our lives telling ourselves a story built around such claims.

But exactly when is it complete bullshit?

As an example, I’ve never felt exceptional in almost any sense. Sometimes I’ve been surprised by how far above the curve I am in a particular domain, and my underestimating myself works against me (like when assuming others know more than they really do); other times, I’m humbled by how much I’ve overestimated myself in some way (like basketball).

Yet through it all, I’ve often protected my ego with the belief that my THINKING is what’s unique. Others may be more articulate, faster, stronger, better looking, more successful socially or financially, etc — but they don’t have the special knowledge I do! “Apes don’t read PHILOSOPHY!”

I figure this is a common psychological experience. But how can we break out of such ego-protecting narratives?

I offer a simple principle:

If you can’t “prove it” in the real world, with real people, you just may be full of shit.

For fun, here’s a 3-step guide.

Example claim: “I am one of the best cooks in the world.”

1. Assuming the claim is not easily dismissed as the ramblings of a crazy person, the next question should be: Is it measurable or demonstrable in some way?

If no— you’re likely full of shit.

If yes, go to 2 (eg., you cook me a passionfruit soufflé, or I play you in chess and you beat me).

2. What is the sample size?

To shift the premise a bit: if you make everyone in your family (or neighborhood, or town) laugh— or if you can argue them into the ground, or if you can beat them all in chess, or out-bench them by 100 pounds — then there’s at least some basis for your belief. Good for you. Your belief may be justified.

What’s more likely, however, is that your sample size is too small.

If it is, you’re likely full of shit.

If not, go to 3.

3. So you’ve made a claim about yourself, and that claim is measurable and has been compared to a fairly large sample size.

Finally: have you taken on others that have also satisfied 1 and 2?

If not, you may be full of shit.

If yes— congrats on your abilities. Screw yourself.

In my view, 90% of us don’t even pass (1). We remove our claims from the realm of demonstrability, so we can go on holding our very self-serving beliefs without ever having to prove them or subject them to real scrutiny. Much like many religions.

…Whew — that post was long. And worth it.
  • jgill
    “Apes don’t read PHILOSOPHY!”Mikie

They could if they were not rabid about typing Shakespeare.
  • Mikie

Ha— it’s from A Fish Called Wanda.
  • Tom Storm
    We all think we’re special. We usually get our sense of specialness from some characteristic we take pride in. We make claims — to ourselves and to others — about these characteristics. We can go most of our lives telling ourselves a story built around such claims.

But exactly when is it complete bullshit?
    Mikie

Interesting. I can only respond with tenuous relevance. I'm not sure I agree that we all think we are special. Many do. Many do not. Some are suicidal with self-loathing or self-denigration. I also sure that many a boundless ego is overcompensating for feelings of inadequacy.

Personally I would say that it is healthy to think we are special in as much as we are the beginning and end of our experience with the world. If we don't treat our unique subjective experience as special - take care of our health, be grateful, be prudent in business, kind to others, etc - we end up suffering and our loved ones suffer with us.

But you mean something different here. Personally I don't know many (if any) who think they are 'the best' at anything. I've never dreamed that big. I would aspire to be competent in and enjoy certain activities. That's always been good enough for me, as I tend to enjoy the experience of doing more than the end result. While I think it's healthy to want to improve at things, the goal is to be the best seems forced and doesn't resonate with me. There's something exhilarating about being a limited, flawed being who makes the most of what they've got.
  • universeness

'Hell is other people.'
    I think it's only other people that can help confirm or refute any impression an individual might have about how 'special' you are. I think it starts from how you are treated as an baby/infant.
    If you get a great deal of love and positive nurture from your parents, then you can indeed grow up believing you are indeed special, others may confirm that or refute it as time goes on. Depending on how that goes, the balance can be tipped into a myriad of pathologies.
  • L'éléphant
    We all think we’re special.Mikie
    This is not the norm unless you are a narcissist. I mean that in a factual way. Most people have a good sense of more here, little there, okay, and good. In fact, even an egoistic individual would only be egoistic within his own circle around him -- usually a very tiny one: himself and another person.

"Egoistic" as used here is not the philosophical egoism.
  • Mikie
    This is not the norm unless you are a narcissist.L'éléphant

Yeah, I think that’s nonsense. A feeling that you’re unique or important in some way is hardly narcissism. If that’s true, we’re all narcissists, because it’s a psychological truism.
  • Noble Dust

Agreed here. @Mikie there's a lot of assumptions in your OP. I would counter that most people don't think of themselves as special. If you think we all are like that, that may say something about you.

That said, I did at one point think I was "special." Thankfully I got knocked down a few pegs and realized my place. It's not that philosophical.
  • Mikie
    If you think we all are like that, that may say something about you.Noble Dust

What I’m describing is an unavoidable psychological fact. Whatever else is being projected on to the word isn’t my business.
  • Mikie
    I have to say, the remark “Not everyone is x” is fatuous.
  • Paine
    I don't look at it as suite of convictions. I recognize that I have long acted upon presuming some set of facts over another, but it was always provisional, on some level. I had to roll the dice so I did.

So, it has always been hard to distinguish between when I was just fooling myself from times when I actually understood what was happening. Turning out to be correct does not explain very much.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.