• Bret Bernhoft
    Technology helps to amplify the power of your shamanism, but shamanism itself is also a sort of proto-technology that is now being amplified by modern technology and science. Technology has made a lot of the shamanistic practices easier, but shamanism is also the thing that birthed technology itself.

Both rely heavily on a knowledge of the spiritual and the physical world. Both also operate through the use of altered states of consciousness and an ability to influence the mind. Both use this knowledge in the service of healing and the growth of humanity. And both have a deep reverence for the natural world and rely heavily on natural forces for their work and belief systems.

Both also share a deep connection to the cycles of death and rebirth. The shamanistic trance allows you to enter the realm of the dead and commune with the spirit world, while technology allows us to extend our reach into new frontiers. Technology also allows us to reach new places and see the world from new perspectives, much like shamanism allows us to reach into other realms and experience the world in a new way.
  • Jack Cummins
    The relationship between shamanism.and technology may be complex, especially in relation to states of consciousness. For example, one of my own memorable experiences was of using a 'dream machine'. This was a programme of visual and sensory states of altered awareness. Such programmes may be more common. I have even come across an idea of AI seances.

So much of this may come back to the nature of human imagination and its source. I wonder how does this relate to shamanism and the understanding of reality. Saying that I am trying to take a break from the abstractions of philosophy, in the form of the threads on creative writing. However, what I do aee as an underlying philosophical issue is the source of ideas and imagination, as well as states of consciousness.

I wonder how important ars these, in the age of technological 'solutions' and the entire area of healing , although I am not convinced that it is a dichotomy between the 'natural' and the 'artificial' entirely. However, the idea of 'trance' is complex, ranging from trance music to hypnotic suggestions and underlying perspectives of 'spirit', altered states of awareness and ideas of 'reality'.
  • Kevin Tan
    So technology has advanced to the degree that humans can travel outside Earth into space, albeit a short time and distance. We are pioneering the Wholeall, a translation of the Dutch word 'heelal' which means cosmos or universe. At least pioneering for Earthlings, cause I'm sure others have done so before us.

Shamanism and related disciplines claim to invoke states of 'oneness-with-all'. That must be some sort of a delusion. We are not capable of experiencing all thoughts & emotions of all humans on Earth all-at-once. That would be a brain short-circuit.

No, I believe that these transcendental states allow us to be more open to enlightened states of being. Perhaps states of being that are more common elsewhere in Existence, outside Earth.

Technologies allow us to create artificial drugs. Nature is flawed for sure, marihuana can only take you so far. Who knows where we will venture within our imaginations. :)
  • Bret Bernhoft

I would argue that all imagination is connected to the spirit world, and all forms of art are an attempt by humans to engage with the spirit world that we can neither see nor touch. There is no difference between a painter and a shaman, one simply uses different tools than the other.

This is also where the overlap between science and spirituality occurs, as they both seek to understand the universe and the spirit world, although from vastly different perspectives.

I would also argue that AI actually has a lot to tell us about the spirit world, as it's our own creations becoming semi-independent of us.
  • Bret Bernhoft

I disagree with you on the idea that it is impossible to become 'one with all' and I will base my belief on the idea of a universal consciousness. I believe that everything is connected, that everything in the universe is part of a single, interconnected whole. This includes the planets and the stars, the trees and the fungus, humans and jellyfish. Everything is connected, everything is one.

This means that shamanism and the connectedness with nature is not a delusion, but a reflection of the fundamental connections we share with each and every single being in existence.
  • wonderer1
    Everything is connected, everything is one.Bret Bernhoft

Are there multiple things that are connected, or is there only one thing?
  • 0 thru 9
    :up: Thanks for an interesting thread.
    I think humanity as a whole has achieved many wondrous things.
    But have we forgotten how to be a creature, a mammal, a living being amongst other different but living beings?
    Not completely forgotten, but almost completely gone out of our mind.
    Zombies walk the Earth, and they are us.

The Australian Aborigines called the ancient times ‘dreamtime’.
    They recreate the distant past and make it come alive in ceremonies.
    Speaking of technology, the didgeridoo amazes me.
    They originally were made from a fallen branch hollowed out by termites, as I understand.
    What would be trash for us was turned into an instrument that sounds like singing thunder or the Earth breathing or something.

I think the word ‘dreamtime’ can give us a clue, if we are open to it.
    In our dream imagery, everything can be alive and deeply conscious.
    Trees talk to us, the lamp runs across the room screaming, long-deceased people entertain us over coffee and danish.

Somehow, we’ve fractured the wholeness of our minds.
    The deeper realms of our souls have broken away and dropped deep under water.
    The unconscious mind is locked away in a dark cavern, and when it stirs like an underwater volcano, we clamp down on it so we can just get through the day.

We repeat this over and over, until one day too tired of fighting and denying the deep dark roots of our very being, we look at our forgotten soul in amazement.
  • Kevin Tan
    Thank you Bret Bernhoft.

Then how can one human (so small compared to the Earth), become one with the Earth (so small compared to Existence). Then what is this fundamental element of one-ness or connectedness?
  • Bret Bernhoft

I agree 100% that we are largely disconnected from our nature, not only because we have advanced technologically, but also because we have advanced socially. We are not meant to live in concrete jungles, but rather in nature among the trees and animals and plants.

You're also not wrong that many cultures and individuals are trying to get back in touch with their nature and their spirituality. A good example of this is the resurgence in interest in Paganism and spiritual beliefs.
  • Bret Bernhoft

This "fundamental element of one-ness" is actually really simple. It's the fundamental fact that everything arises from a single origin, the Big Bang. The Big Bang created everything that exists in the universe, and everything (down to the cellular level) is made up of the same base components. Therefore, even though you are a small individual and the earth is a big planet, you and the earth are both made out of the same basic building blocks. In reality, you and the earth are made of the same stuff, and you are really one with the universe at a fundamental level.
  • Kevin Tan
    That sounds nice. I don't know what its implications are though. Is this oneness purely a positive thing? Or are there neutral or negative aspects to it as well?
  • 0 thru 9

Open question to anyone:

What would the aim/goal of the shamanistic behavior/person be today in the present moment?
    (Either one top goal, or many goals. Either specific or general).
  • Kevin Tan
    To connect to other lifeforms on Earth than just humans. To share that bond of love with others. To show that we don't have to be afraid of life.
  • Bret Bernhoft

My apologies for the delay in responding to your question.

I think the best example of shamanistic behaviors and people in today's world, is the global "techno rave scene", that originally came out of London in the early 90's. These folks gather(ed) specifically for entering states of group trance, sometimes called "oneness". With the DJ acting as a sort of shaman, for the night.
  • Kevin Tan
    Here (Netherlands) we call that music style 'trance' or 'trance music'. If find the song 'Sandstorm' by Darude a good example. Still very enjoyable on YouTube today! :D
  • Bret Bernhoft

Thank you for the reference. I checked out the track, and love it. For those who are curious, here is an embed of the media being referred to:

I can definitely see how this example of trance music could help bring about (inspire) a state of "oneness" when dancing with hundreds of other ravers. That is exactly what the modern shamanistic urge looks like.
  • Kevin Tan
    Wow. Thanks for embedding the link. That's really lovely.
  • Kevin Tan
    So I remember Dario G from the London Scene. His song Sunchyme is featured on a shamanic cd of mine (from the CD era...). Link below :)

Dario G - Sunchyme

EPIC :D

(and for some reason I can't get the video inserted here. How did you do that?)
  • Bret Bernhoft
    To embed a YouTube video, I click on the camera icon at the top of the text area, when creating a new thread or writing a response.
  • Kevin Tan
    Cool! So this thread is very social and also interesting. For me, the underlying oneness consists of our bond. We are all connected to each other. Some ties are tight, some are loose, some are almost non-existent. Shamanism is a difficult topic. It's vague. But the embedding of these videos shows the amazingness of technology. What do you think, Bret?
  • 0 thru 9
    To connect to other lifeforms on Earth than just humans. To share that bond of love with others. To show that we don't have to be afraid of life.Kevin Tan

:smile: :up: Yes, that would be wonderful. It think the results would blow our minds. Treating the world and its creatures as ‘things’ and ‘its’ instead of ‘you’ is the toxin we swallow everyday.
    Thinking itself is the beginning and the destination of technology.

This YouTube channel consistently surprises me with how animals can get along with other animals including humans, when put in the right situation.
    Who wouldn’t want to be like Francis of Assisi and have wild birds fly to you, perch on your finger, and sing a song?
    https://m.youtube.com/@TheDodo
  • 0 thru 9
    I think the best example of shamanistic behaviors and people in today's world, is the global "techno rave scene", that originally came out of London in the early 90's. These folks gather(ed) specifically for entering states of group trance, sometimes called "oneness". With the DJ acting as a sort of shaman, for the night.Bret Bernhoft

I certainly hope the spirit of the shaman is strong somewhere in the world. It is a tree and forest that has been cut down. But the roots are deep and alive, and will one day soon be apparent for all to see.

I like psybient music like Shpongle and Entheogenic.

• 0 thru 9

Someone on YouTube combined this song with an unrelated short animated film. It goes together well. :starstruck:
  • Kevin Tan
    Thanks for the animal channel. It looks good!
  • Kevin Tan
    Enjoying the Entheogenic album now. It's mesmerizing! :love:
  • Bret Bernhoft
    I certainly hope the spirit of the shaman is strong somewhere in the world. It is a tree and forest that has been cut down.0 thru 9

I've seen the shamanic spirit take flight again in our modern times. But only in pockets of the world at the same moment. In other words, those individuals who are interested in shamanism, often need to travel substantial distances before they find a similar person.
  • 0 thru 9
    :grin: Awesome!
    A warning though: listening to Entheogenic (especially with YT video slowed down) while taking entheogens can make one travel to another world… and not want to return to this one lol.

:sparkle: Yes, I’d imagine that is the case.
    Luckily however, one spark can cause a large fire :fire: (this time a fire of wisdom, love, and freedom).
    And always our inner guru, our own secret shaman is inside our minds advising us.
    We can hear the drum he plays when we are quiet.
    Ba-bump, ba-bump…
    When I’m smart, I listen.
  • Kevin Tan
    entheogens can make one travel to another world0 thru 9

I didn't know the word. An umbrella-term for various kinds of drugs, or so it seems. Then I'm entheogenic to some degree as well. :) An otherworldly traveler :gasp:
  • 0 thru 9
    Here’s a YouTube channel with a fusion of indigenous and electronic music.

Some real surprising combinations of sounds. I like. :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet