• Goldenverse
    Hi, all! I just joined this forum. I hope to get feedback on the ideas I share on my blog so I'll be sharing some of what I post. I look forward to seeing your thoughts.This post deals with the influence Bacon had on the scientific community. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
  • alan1000
    Hi Goldenverse,

Please do not ask your readers to examine lengthy references, and give "their thoughts". I can buy a book in a charity shop and do that.

By all means supply a reference but, if you have a specific issue to raise, summarise the relevant points and phrase your question in a way which invites agreement or disagreement supported by critical analysis of the reference. Don't be a lazy thinker!

As an offering: Bacon tended to think that if one could only amass sufficient data, the explanatory hypothesis would become obvious, like the picture in a jigsaw puzzle. I t would drop out under its own weight, so to speak. We now know, what Bacon couldn't have guessed, that it isn't as easy as that. There is always more than one explanatory hypothesis. Because "not only is the Universe a queer place, it is queerer than we can imagine".
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.