• Metaphysician Undercover
    Perhaps the problem is that "The philosophy forum" is a bit of a misnomer. Perhaps you could rename it : "The subset of philosophy that allows for the deletion of posts based on arbitrary judgement and a hidden agenda forum." I know it is a bit of a mouthful, but at least you would avoid the risk of being done for false advertising. It could also be a point of difference between this forum and other philosophy forums.A Seagull

What do you suppose that "hidden agenda" is? Or is it too well hidden for you to know?
  • Noble Dust

As someone who's philosophy doesn't align with the mods, I've had plenty of fruitful discussions here, including my own topics. The key is to learn how to debate and discuss clearly and respectfully. Anyone can learn how to do that. If there's a liberal bias on this forum, it's because there's a liberal bias in philosophy. It's nothing to protest; use your energy by making cogent arguments for your ideas. Save the protest for if real, unjust censorship ever happens.
  • A Seagull
    What do you suppose that "hidden agenda" is? Or is it too well hidden for you to know?Metaphysician Undercover

I don't know what it is, or even if indeed there is one; but I am hoping to find out.
  • BC
    I don't know what it is, or even if indeed there is one; but I am hoping to find out.A Seagull

Remember, the Mods are volunteer, unpaid, and have lives to lead apart from moderating. How much time do you suppose they have to pursue obscure agendas?

Over the last x number of years, I've been active on the old PF and the new PF, with some of the same people moderating. I haven't seen evidence of moderators pursuing private agendas. Of course, I don't know what all they do behind the scenes. Maybe it's all smoke and mirrors.
  • BC
    Perhaps the problem is that "The philosophy forum" is a bit of a misnomer. Perhaps you could rename it : "The subset of philosophy that allows for the deletion of posts based on arbitrary judgement and a hidden agenda forum." I know it is a bit of a mouthful, but at least you would avoid the risk of being done for false advertising. It could also be a point of difference between this forum and other philosophy forums.A Seagull

I don't know why they pull one post and not another. I would be much more worried if they started killing off threads, wholesale. I have never seen a thread deleted except for being a product sales pitch or a bald "you can only be saved by the Blood of the Lamb" thread. (There's a clear, unambiguous difference between discussing whether you think people can be saved or not, and from what, and making specific religious demands of forum participants.)

You, and others, have strongly reacted to having posts deleted. I would be a bit upset too, but I wouldn't worry unless you see a clear pattern of depravity on the part of moderators toward your posts.
  • Buxtebuddha
    No, I actually don't think I'm fit to be a moderator, but I would have other people to propose: Mariner, Thorongil, yourself, John and a few more! I'd aim for a mix between theist/atheist, progressive/conservative, just to make everything fair.Agustino

Reveal
    giphy.gif
  • Streetlight
    Actually one of the unspoken rules we have is that we delete every 24th post which opens with the letter T and ends with the letter S, but if and only if it's a full moon that night. We've probably arbitrarily gotten rid of at least 17 posts that way.

#SecretAgendaRevealed
  • Michael
    Damn you for making me laugh with one of those.
  • TimeLine
    That was awesome. Confession alert: I have a jar of homemade bbq sauce I labelled as yamok sauce 8-)
  • TimeLine
    It matters to me because I am a philosopher. I like to understand things. Further I do not accept things at face value, I prefer to look beneath the façade.A Seagull

It is a forum, not an academic journal with qualified experts judging written content, just everyday people who are interested in chatting to one another about things that may be philosophically related. Threads that contain any merit rarely attract well-deserved responses and so the only enjoyment we have left is to confuse the regulars with a bit of controversy as they try to figure you out - is she religious? Is she racist? - hence the fun bit. It is impossible to see beneath the façade of anyone because the way that we write can easily be misinterpreted; in reality, I lead a quiet and gentle life, work with children and love my dog but I could appear to many outsiders as a raging amazonian genius who screams and eats whole cooked chickens while slushing down a pot of ale.

Like those people who audition for a singing competition but they sound like a dying horse need to be told that they won't get far in life as a singer, sometimes there are people who have a rather awkward intellect that need to be told that perhaps they should try dabbling in something less intellectually vigorous, like new age spirituality. It may just be that you unfortunately got caught in between, brush your shoulders off and move on.
  • Agustino
    but I could appear to many outsiders as a raging amazonian genius who screams and eats whole cooked chickens while slushing down a pot of ale.TimeLine
    And you do >:O
  • TimeLine
    And you do >:OAgustino

You remind me of...

giphy.gif
  • Agustino

I have no clue who that guy is ;) You can tell I never watch TV.
  • TimeLine
    Hence, the no personality...
  • Agustino
    Yeah, sorry I didn't know those peeps who keep their eyes glued to the TV screen have a personality :P

I'm part of those who appear on TV, not those who watch it (jk lol)
  • TimeLine
    This place would be so dull without you :P
  • Buxtebuddha
    What do I look like? Hopefully I have a club and live under a bridge.
  • VagabondSpectre
    I don't think I've ever had any of my posts deleted (I'm a good boy!), but I wonder if and when posts get removed, is there any kind of notification or way to see that this has happened?

I'm not against removing posts, but I think it's important that the poster be made aware of the deletion (and why, if applicable). (Knowing why your post is removed would be good for rehabilitating the shit posters.)

There's a concept called "shadow-banning" which is where you make someone's content invisible to everyone but themselves, and sometimes they go on posting for years, never ever getting any replies. The problem I have with shadow-bans (or by partial similarity, shadow-post deletion) is that it can have the insidious effect of censoring/silencing political speech above and beyond merely denying someone a platform. Banning someone outright is one thing, but shadow-banning prevents people from finding other platforms because they are tricked into thinking they already have one.

It's an interesting ethical issue given the unprecedented importance these new digital forums (the big ones especially) have in society.
  • S
    You have that wrong, I'm all for a strong moderating team, but not for unnecessary interventions.Agustino

I didn't say otherwise, and if I'm wrong, then it's odd that many of your comments attest to the fact. In fact, it's hard to think of a time when you haven't piped up in this way. I've gotten used to it and have come to expect it.
  • S
    I don't know why you think that was melodramatic, there are lots of other philosophy forums out there.A Seagull

Because it was melodramatic... an overreaction.
  • S
    I don't know what it is, or even if indeed there is one; but I am hoping to find out.A Seagull

Eye roll.
  • Agustino
    Eye roll.Sapientia
    Right, and this isn't melodramatic?
  • S
    I don't think I've ever had any of my posts deleted (I'm a good boy!), but I wonder if and when posts get removed, is there any kind of notification or way to see that this has happened?VagabondSpectre

No, there's no notification. If there was an option for automatic notification, then we'd consider doing that, but we don't have that option.
  • S
    Right, and this isn't melodramatic?Agustino

No.
  • Hanover
    No, I actually don't think I'm fit to be a moderator, but I would have other people to propose: Mariner, Thorongil, yourself, John and a few more! I'd aim for a mix between theist/atheist, progressive/conservative, just to make everything fair.Agustino

Posts aren't moderated on the basis of political leaning. If they were, I'd delete all of BC's posts. The reason I don't is because he has something intelligent to say. And that answers the OP as to what criteria the mods use.
  • S
    Do you think, Sapientia, that there's something wrong if a thread has multiple conversations going on inside?Agustino

No, of course not. That in itself is not a problem, and it wasn't the problem in this case. The problem related to the content.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    No, there's no notification. If there was an option for automatic notification, then we'd consider doing that, but we don't have that option.Sapientia

Maybe it's rare enough the mods could just have a policy of sending the deletee a PM.

OTOH, that would probably invite debate, and a further policy like "We won't respond to PMs about post deletion" has an icky ring to it.

Erk.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    To send the PM somewhat anonymously you'd also have to create a shared mod account.
  • A Seagull
    Because it was melodramatic... an overreactionSapientia

Well there you have it. A subjective opinion posturing as objectivity.
  • S
    Maybe it's rare enough the mods could just have a policy of sending the deletee a PM.Srap Tasmaner

We've considered that option and have already discussed it in the moderator forum. I'm against that because I think it's too much work. You'll either notice that you've been moderated or you won't, and if you have any questions or complaints, then you can contact us or create a discussion in the feedback forum. We do sometimes message members, but usually not just as a notification.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.