• Judaka
    In the realm of expressing thoughts and opinions, I have identified two forms: Externalised and Non-Externalised. Externalised expressions convey concepts as independent of the speaker, while Non-Externalised expressions rely on the speaker's personal factors. It's important to note that the chosen expression style does not definitively reveal the speaker's true perception. One can still acknowledge their personal characteristics while attempting to justify an externalised perspective. The effects of these expression styles, regardless of intent or inner thoughts, are worth considering.

Non-Externalised expression places the speaker at the forefront, making their personal viewpoint relevant. For example, saying "I don't like country music" reveals information about oneself, and the speaker's musical preferences may be more pertinent than the genre itself. It opens the door to discussing personal reasons and preferences, as the topic begins with the speaker's emotions, experiences, and interpretations.

On the other hand, Externalised expression shifts the emphasis onto the subject and the argument, distancing it from the speaker. Responding to an externalised expression often involves sharing one's own view, agreeing or disagreeing, and engaging in topic-based discussions. It discourages questions that divert from the argument and focus on personal circumstances or experiences because they are not directly related to the judgment being made about country music, for example.

Each form of expression impacts the applicability and relevance of the speaker's position to others. Externalised expression presents concepts as objective, introducing them independently of personal criteria. For instance, saying "Country music is bad because it's too slow and boring" conveys a potentially less subjective judgment. The language used is akin to describing feelings in a more objective context.

In contrast, Non-Externalised expression, such as "I don't like the pacing of country music because I prefer a faster tempo," removes this ambiguity. Preferences do not qualify as objective reasoning. Although Non-Externalised expressions can still be forceful, Externalised expression inherently carries a stronger force due to its establishment of concepts as potentially objective. By stating "X is better than Y" instead of "I prefer X to Y," the speaker implies that their position reflects an objective perspective. Depending on the context, this could lead to the implication that those who enjoy country music have bad taste or should not enjoy it.

One's reaction to someone holding a different view may vary based on whether Externalised or Non-Externalised expression is used. In an Externalised expression like "Country music is bad because it's too slow and boring," disagreement may be perceived as rejecting the entire argument, rather than simply expressing a different viewpoint. There might be a desire to challenge the notions of "slow" and "boring" to undermine the argument. This ambiguity is absent in Non-Externalised expressions, where one cannot disagree with someone's preference for faster-paced music but can only accept their subjective experience.

Furthermore, the choice between Externalised and Non-Externalised expressions can influence one's perception of their own opinions. Justifying an Externalised view may unintentionally lead to more objective reasoning, considering it as a position on the concept rather than an expression of personal feelings. In response, discussions may naturally shift towards the topic and the validity of arguments. Contexts where Non-Externalised expression is inappropriate tend to be more objective, leading individuals to default to treating Externalised expressions as more objective as well.

These are some general thoughts on the influence of expression styles on communication and thought. While definitive conclusions on these effects may remain elusive, I still think it's worthwhile to consider these kinds of topics, even if we can't really pinpoint how much of an impact they have.
  • alan1000
    What you are talking about is subjectivism and objectivity. It's covered in Philosophy 101.
  • Leontiskos
    - Yep, and “subjective” and “objective” are also better names. What is at stake is not externalization.
  • unenlightened
    In the realm of expressing thoughts and opinions, I have identified two forms:Judaka

What you are talking about is subjectivism and objectivity. It's covered in Philosophy 101.alan1000

Explicitly, from the beginning, the op declares that the division he is expressing is "Non-externalised", which I take it that @alan1000 is identifying as "subjectivism".

However, I also take it from the reference to "Philosophy 101" that @alan 1000 takes his distinction to be externalised/objective.

And that curious circumstance leads me to suggest that the distinction cannot be made absolutely clear. Rather, distinctions are always made by subjects, but since language is shared, their expression always depends upon a shared object world.
  • Philosophim
    Externalised expressions convey concepts as independent of the speaker, while Non-Externalised expressions rely on the speaker's personal factors.Judaka

I would say this isn't quite right. What about this?

Externalized expressions convey concepts based on the observable actions of the speaker, while non-externalized expressions rely on the unobserved personal experience of the speaker.

I say this because I don't think actions are independent of the speaker. I may feel sad for example but force a smile and active activity to mask my internal feelings. Actions can be externally observed and interpreted while internal feelings cannot.

Externalised expression presents concepts as objective, introducing them independently of personal criteria.Judaka

I would argue they are not objective. They are ways for the speaker to convey what they want others to believe about their feelings. "You may be smiling, but objectively you're still sad."

In contrast, Non-Externalised expression, such as "I don't like the pacing of country music because I prefer a faster tempo," removes this ambiguity. Preferences do not qualify as objective reasoning.Judaka

Agreed.

Externalised expression inherently carries a stronger force due to its establishment of concepts as potentially objective.Judaka

I think they carry a stronger force with other people as other people cannot see into a person's internal feelings. But we're all aware that people can lie with their external expressions. The key is that a lie of external expressions requires a lot more effort and control. Meaning that extended period of conversation will result in slip ups or inconsistencies.

Other than my slight offered tweak, I like your thoughts overall. =)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.