• Levon Nurijanyan
    Combine Lacan's ideas regarding individuals’ commercial desires with the existing marketing theory. We are unable to express ourselves adequately and that’s the internal struggle; the anxiety of being understood. We choose commercial objects provided by the useless overproduction of capitalism in hopes to use them as symbols of our intentions, but these objects are always doomed to fail - because they are not for expression, but for admiration like art. You can recognize their independent beauty, but you cannot use them as your own.
    But we as humans, will always try to become part of something, a life that item is supposed to have but lacks. And the disappointment is too much struggle for comprehension so we reject it. Instead, we move on to the next promise of desire. When I buy a guitar, I want it to become a part of me, but it never can, but the only way I can truly have it is if I treat it as a separate fantasy that I can only observe. I can re-create it, but I’ll never want people who observe that beauty to attribute it to me - I am no part of it. I am its mere reflection.

Or if I buy a poster. The poster in itself doesn't bring value. The value comes from the idea of having a connection with the poster, that you are part of the culture it tries to depict. And the collection of these commercial objects creates the essence you present to the world as your delegation.

In the same way, when I write, the intention should not be the desire to be understood, but it often is. The sentences that come out are not always good, nor are they always meaningful. They are a product of my desire to be understood, but will never quench my thirst. Alas, I need to give them up in hopes they don’t drown.
  • T Clark
    Or if I buy a poster. The poster in itself doesn't bring value. The value comes from the idea of having a connection with the poster, that you are part of the culture it tries to depict. And the collection of these commercial objects creates the essence you present to the world as your delegation.Levon Nurijanyan

What you are describing isn't true of me. I own a lot of things, most of which are useful or at least meant for use. Clothing, a house, a car, appliances, a computer, and on and on. I don't have strong feelings for most of these. There are a few things I really love generally because they are beautiful or have personal meaning - a rug, silverware, the orange pepper grinder my son gave me for Christmas.

I don't think I am so different from other people.
  • Tom Storm
    We choose commercial objects provided by the useless overproduction of capitalism in hopes to use them as symbols of our intentions, but these objects are always doomed to fail - because they are not for expression, but for admiration like art. You can recognize their independent beauty, but you cannot use them as your own.

But we as humans, will always try to become part of something, a life that item is supposed to have but lacks. And the disappointment is too much struggle for comprehension so we reject it. Instead, we move on to the next promise of desire. When I buy a guitar, I want it to become a part of me, but it never can, but the only way I can truly have it is if I treat it as a separate fantasy that I can only observe. I can re-create it, but I’ll never want people who observe that beauty to attribute it to me - I am no part of it. I am its mere reflection.
    Levon Nurijanyan

I'm not really sure what any of that means in real terms.

We are unable to express ourselves adequately and that’s the internal struggle; the anxiety of being understoodLevon Nurijanyan

And how would you go about demonstrating this? Is this true of all of us or just some? Do we know it? I don't know it... I don't feel this.

When I buy a guitar, I want it to become a part of me, but it never can, but the only way I can truly have it is if I treat it as a separate fantasy that I can only observe.Levon Nurijanyan

I bought a guitar during Covid. It worked as expected and I went about learning chords and how to pluck strings. At no point did I want it to be a 'part of me' but that feeling can follow when people become good at something. You can't make it happen. I'm not sure I understand this point - what is a 'separate fantasy that only I observe'?
  • Paine

Lacan does not express himself in the way you ascribe to him.

In the same way, when I write, the intention should not be the desire to be understood,Levon Nurijanyan

Noted.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet