• introbert
    Recently I posted an idea titled "Designing Antiphilosophical Machines". It recieved one comment calling it gibberish, and then was removed by mods. Perhaps if I provide a little context for the writing it will be more understandable.

It is a difficult area to discuss as it involves deviations from conventional ideas. It involves the concept of schizophrenia, which is conventionly not completely understood, but is rigidly considered a disease or disorder of the mind. I, on the other hand consider jt as Delueze might have, as all the individual, transcendant, dysfunctional, idealist, nihilistic, paranoid etc. functions of the mind which are discordant with organized society. A general theory is that as organized society integrates social types, individual types will take on schizo essences with an indeterminant total effect on the direction of society.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I am interested in the international events of '68 and the Capitalism and Schizophrenia dialetical thesis (of Deleuze). Upon researching this time period I uncovered the work of John McHale, who was a futurist in the 60s and 70s. Futurism is connected with fascism and scientific progress. In a work produced by Walker Art Centre in Minnessota, Design Quarterly '68 (I believe) was titled Towards the Future. I identified this as a type of protestant loyalist turn of phrase. The work did have many valuable images and ideas that reflected technological development and thinking at that time, including some outlandish ideas which are not well tolerated any longer. While examining the book I saw a small picture of a space station that looked like a primitive tripartite irish symbol, ones you can find illustrating the holy trinity ( shamrock or peace sign) or triskele. I knew that the holy trinity was composed of three distinct elements the father who should be contemplated in our thoughts,the son whose words we should read and interpret based on our best moral judgements, and the holy ghost whose acceptance or rejection i fluences our actions. This whole complex of shamrock and analogical line drawings and the epistemological way of using a nonration method of analogical approximation rather than a 1:1 comparison of ideas makes critics say the perception is unsound, blasphemous, immoral: Evil. A schizo delusion?

Although there was three intersecting lines making up the triskele/space station there was a open port hole to look inside. I forget what the exact lines were labelled with now but found them reducible to thinking(father),interpretation ( son), and action ( holy ghost). The hole I reduced to watching. I did an online search for those parameters and found a futurism organization using those parameters W->I, and T-A in an axis. Watching or observing is empirical. Interpretation is hermeneutics, thinking is theoretical, and action is practice or practicum or practical. The inside of these quadrants organize work similar to how a personality test would determine a specialty of someone. I approached the design from what I understood about the axis as synthesizing a perfect combination of these parameters at centre where they intersect. Imagine a plumbbob hanging over this centreline, the plumbob representing a quality person, in ancient craftsman tradition.
    F
    Moving away from this centre of stability and precision you have deviant outliers who are not inclined to watch others or popular things, do not interpret correctly, can't act without thinking or think witbout purpose. I interpreted the design as antischizophrenia using Deleuze's thesis. My interpretation is that it was to make antiphilosophical machines through organized efforts in various institutions, a perception of machines that desire eachother and make more machines like them, which alienate the outsiders invarious ways.
  • Baden

I think if you're going to talk about Deleuze, you'll need a more accessible avenue then this. You can PM me some ideas if you like and I'll see if we can find anything that could work. I'm not against discussing 'out there' stuff but there has to be some grounding in realistic expectations of what is comprehensible without expert knowledge (assuming there is something of value to be understood).
  • introbert
    I can talk about other topics.
  • RogueAI
    Although there was three intersecting lines making up the triskele/space station there was a open port hole to look inside. I forget what the exact lines were labelled with now but found them reducible to thinking(father),interpretation ( son), and action ( holy ghost).introbert

:chin:
  • Joshs

It is a difficult area to discuss as it involves deviations from conventional ideas. It involves the concept of schizophrenia, which is conventionly not completely understood, but is rigidly considered a disease or disorder of the mind. I, on the other hand consider jt as Delueze might have, as all the individual, transcendant, dysfunctional, idealist, nihilistic, paranoid etc. functions of the mind which are discordant with organized societyintrobert

I don’t know if this helps, but the concept of schizophrenia you’re looking for in Deleuze and Guattari is what they call schizophrenic process, which they distinguish from the schizophrenic as entity. The latter conforms to the conventional medicalized concept of schizophrenia as mental illness. The former is the basis of all human functioning in desiring production.

“ Schizophrenia is like love: there is no specifically schizophrenic phenomenon or entity; schizophrenia is the universe of productive and reproductive desiring-machines, universal primary production as "the essential reality of man and nature." ( Anti-Oedipus)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.