• dclements
    All well-informed, rational people will have shared goals and ideas about how to morally accomplish them. Hence, conditional oughts can be normative and culturally useful for defining culture-independent moral systems.Mark S
    To the best of my knowledge conditional oughts/moral beliefs are DEFINED by one's culture and/or system of beliefs, they don't and can't exist independently.

I mean think of it for a second, what use is "morality" to some agent or group of agents (ie an individual or group of them) who's primary purpose isn't self survive and/or needs to know what actions are "good" for themselves and their community.

It is a given that bias is built into morality and it is more or less just as simple as that. One can try to talk about moral systems that are either less bias or try to be less bias but to talk about a truly "Objective Morality" is a foolhardy endeavor. I think the last philosopher that tried to do that was Immanuel Kant with his Critique of Pure Reason and even back then he was laughed at by his fellow philosophers.

IMHO it might be useful to read up on what Søren Kierkegaard had to say about morality in order to get a better handle on the whole subjective/objective morality problem, but of course that is just my opinion.
  • Mark S
    Such comment keeps evading my actual points:
    - You didn’t offer any such proof that your empirical theory of morality has greater explanatory/predictive power than other competing empirical theories. You just keep claiming that’s the case, that’s all. At least you could point at the literature where this comparison is provided.
    neomac

Thanks for your detailed comments.

I’d like this thread to focus on the value of conditional moral oughts.

However, how I am using findings from the science of morality to justify Morality (referring to cultural moral norms and our moral sense) as Cooperation Strategies is a good topic. I have composed something I am reasonably happy with: “The science of morality from the bottom-up and the top-down” at https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/14402/the-science-of-morality-from-the-bottom-up-and-the-top-down

Perhaps we can continue this conversation there.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.