• I like sushi
    No dude, that's not how ethics works. If you want to debate meta-ethics, cool, but not what this particular argument is about.schopenhauer1

There is nothing here then. Just you expressing an opinion.

If something is unnecessary it is unnecessary. It depends. Not much to talk about then. We could go back and forth proposing various theoretical scenarios and argue why one is necessary and another is not … so what?
  • I like sushi

X states an apple is an apple then claims that an apple is an apple.
    Y asks what the point of this is.

That is a basic breakdown of the exchange we have had.

So, YES an ‘unecessary burden’ is ‘unnecessary’ … what is or is not considered as necessary or unnecessary is a matter of opinion. Specific examples can be expanded upon and explored via hypothetical scenarios. The abstracted the scenario is from reality the lower the resolution.

From a purely ‘natalist’ perspective there are undoubtedly situations where one ca argue that it is not particularly viable to have children and others where it is. ‘Necessity’ used in this realm is a slippery term.
  • schopenhauer1
    So, YES an ‘unecessary burden’ is ‘unnecessary’ … what is or is not considered as necessary or unnecessary is a matter of opinion. Specific examples can be expanded upon and explored via hypothetical scenarios. The abstracted the scenario is from reality the lower the resolution.

From a purely ‘natalist’ perspective there are undoubtedly situations where one ca argue that it is not particularly viable to have children and others where it is. ‘Necessity’ used in this realm is a slippery term.
    I like sushi

It's about necessity in whether or not to burden someone. When is it ever okay to burden someone
    a) without their consent
    b) when there is no dire situation you are mitigating?

Would you be okay if someone went around causing unasked for burdens upon people and with no reason tied to mitigating a dire circumstance for that person? I doubt you can think of a circumstance like this.

Also, we are not talking about trivial or weak burdens either. We are talking major burdens. In fact, it is the burden of "Set of all sets of burdens".
  • I like sushi
    So you are asking a redunant question.

If you are framing certain kinds of burden as unnecessary and then asking people to name an unnecessary burden that is necessary … well, you can see the problem.

I would add that it is also better to burden some people with somethings and others with other things to lessen the burden for both - each being more or less accustomed to said ‘things’. As an extreme example one might ask someone to kill for food and in this circumstance some people are more able to carry this burden than others whilst if the tsk was different those more able to handle the burden of killing would be less able to deal with other tasks.

So ‘that person’ (as you put it) is not society at large nor a community. The individual exists as ‘part of’ not ‘apart from’.

So,

Would you be okay if someone went around causing unasked for burdens upon people and with no reason tied to mitigating a dire circumstance for that person?schopenhauer1

It depends. As for examples of circumstances I just laid out the frame work for endless examples of this. It was not difficult.
  • schopenhauer1
    As an extreme example one might ask someone to kill for food and in this circumstance some people are more able to carry this burden than others whilst if the tsk was different those more able to handle the burden of killing would be less able to deal with other tasks.I like sushi

It depends. As for examples of circumstances I just laid out the frame work for endless examples of this. It was not difficult.I like sushi

:rofl: oh really? How does this not fall under
    b) when there is no dire situation you are mitigating?schopenhauer1

You’re just casually burdening someone to hunt food for you? How are you not arguing out of bad faith? You’re so interested in trying to prove me wrong you can’t argue anything of substance. Keep trying though.
  • I like sushi
    Either you are not really taking this seriously or you hve some kind of strange mental block.

Anyway, bye bye. You just did away with any future interaction from myself and, I strongly suspect, many MANY others.
  • schopenhauer1
    Either you are not really taking this seriously or you hve some kind of strange mental block.

Anyway, bye bye. You just did away with any future interaction from myself and, I strongly suspect, many MANY others.
    I like sushi

You’ve been arguing nothing these last posts and this last one now proves it. I’ve been waiting for you to stop responding since you started with your nonsense.

A case where this might be justified would be what I referred to in the OP as necessary burdens. These are ones where a person cannot survive without them. Education might be one of these. Also there seems to be an element of "already existing" to the burden. That is to say, circumstances made the burden "already exist" for the person, and you are offering a lesser burden for them so they can overcome the greater burden placed on them.schopenhauer1
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.