• rohan
    The reason I ask this, for me it is hard to imagine that someone could be passionate about for example Mathematics. I sometimes wonder if these people enjoy Mathematics as much as I do playing and listening to music.

I think its safe to say that a larger percent of the global population is 'passionate' about things like music compared to mathematics.

Are people that are passionate about mathematics, people that have had an enviroment or had the inpiration to cultive a sense of delayed gratification? Or are people that are passionate about mathematics, more stoic in general, meaning that they don't feel a need to have alot of pleasure, they can deal with large amounts of times them feeling neutral.

Also I asked myself, Why am I not passionate about Mathematics?

One answer I came up with is that I, like many people in this world, have a sort of favor for instant-gratification. Music gives much more instant-gratification and I think it does for many peopple, because it is designed to activate imagination and emotion.

Mathematics is not inherently designed to do that.

Is the reason I am not passionate about mathematics, because I haven't been conditioned at a young age to delay gratification? Or because I had too many times I felt stuck at mathematics and because I am not conditioned to delay gratification and stick it out, my unconscious mind decided that maths is not for me?

Or is this all bullshit, and is passion some predetermined thing, some genetic thing?

For the record, I'm not really convinced that genetics play a big role in behavior. They do play A role, but enviromental and events have much bigger impact, I think.

Let me know what you think.

Also People might look at my previous posts, and think,"why does he asks the same questions all the time and why does he care so much about this ?"

Well the reason for this is, I have found by observing the world of humans, that we tend to excel and appreciate things we like to do. Now, one things all humans like to do is have an orgasm.

Imagine if people felt the same passion for wanting to have an orgasm, for advancing technological innovation, knowledge, science and improving the world of humans in general? That is why I care
  • jkop
    Passion changes with experience, or when the things that we're passionate about change. These days there is a lot of great music instantly available online, which in the long run can make our attitude to great music more blasé and non-passionate than ever. I'm not a mathematician but I understand that people can be passionate about the subject; there are websites and courses produced by passionate enthusiasts, quite different than the sedative books I had to endure in high-school.

Imagine if people felt the same passion for wanting to have an orgasm, for advancing technological innovation, knowledge, science and improving the world of humans in general?rohan

People might feel the same passion, but seldom for the same things (e.g. not all people want to have orgasms, some find them unpleasant even, perhaps like a loss of control or something?).
    For example, people who excel in the sciences can be replaced or set-up to look bad by people who excel in power games. Conversely, those who excel in power games can get a bad reputation when they are revealed by those who excel in investigating mismanagement, and so on.
  • oranssi
    No one can say for certain if this or that person isn't feeling passion relative to someone or something, because it is something so subjective and elusive to be identified by someone else that is not the self.

If someone says he is passionate for math, I take it for what it is...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.