• TiredThinker
    I know most are content accepting that we exist and that is enough to determine that we must of deserved to, assuming there is a way to be unworthy of it. But what questions could one ask to determine if one deserves to merely exist?
  • Tom Storm
    I don't fully understand this question. Based on what criteria of value or against whose scale could you possibly measure such a question? The glib answer, of course is that no one deserves anything; but do we deserve not to exist? What follows from a 'yes' or 'no' answer? And what is the word 'merely' doing in front of exist? Do you mean to point to existence, with no additional attributes, like being happy or healthy?
  • 180 Proof
    But what questions could one ask to determine if one deserves to merely exist?TiredThinker
    Suppose either we do or we do not "deserve to merely exist", what existential difference does that distinction make?
  • TiredThinker
    You're both right. It was a dumb question. I guess it can't be determined. But I guess I wanted to see what value could be given to this human existence that makes it inherently superior to being a rock.
  • 180 Proof
    ... inherently superior to being a rock.TiredThinker
    "To be a rock and not to roll ..." :smirk:
  • Mww
    To be a rock…..180 Proof

“…And a rock feels no pain.
    And an island never cries…”
  • Sir2u
    But I guess I wanted to see what value could be given to this human existence that makes it inherently superior to being a rock.TiredThinker

The rock wins every time. Try building a house with humans, won't last long. Tell your mates to shut up because you want some peace and quiet, not going to work. Lots of other stuff a rock can do better than humans and they last longer too.
  • Sir2u
    Thanks mate, seriously thought some twit was going to blast me for that. So many people think that humans are soooo superior.
  • 180 Proof
    So many people think that humans are soooo superior.Sir2u
    :smirk:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.