• invicta
    People often ask, what is the meaning of life, and so sometimes various answers are provided or even non-answers such as life doesn’t have a meaning.

The question should really be: why should life HAVE a meaning to a hairless ape?
  • 180 Proof
    Unlike hairy apes, we baldies need to wear coats to keep warm. "Meaning" is a coat, a wardrobe, even tailored on occasion.
  • universeness

Do you suffer from alopecia universalis?
  • invicta

No do you ? What a pointless question.
  • universeness

Sorry, just checking to see if you really did consider yourself a hairless ape:
  • I like sushi
    People who’ve bee here a long time may get bored of the same old questions. Who doesn’t?
  • Tom Storm
    The question should really be: why should life HAVE a meaning to a hairless ape?invicta

I would argue that the question might also be why should life NOT have meaning to people? Humans seem to be machines for making meaning - drawing connections and telling stories. Hence, culture, art, entertainment, religion, literature, philosophy, science, etc, etc. We can't help ourselves. It's our thing. Some of us like our stories to be metanarratives - foundational and transcendent. Some of us are happy with tentative accounts, subject to constant revision.
  • Sir2u
    I would argue that the question might also be why should life NOT have meaning to people?Tom Storm

I think the real question should be
    Why do people keep asking if there is a meaning to life, instead of going out and finding it themselves?

Why would anyone know what the meaning of life is?
    Why would anyone not know the meaning of life?

I think that this is a personal and individual question that everyone has to find the answer to themslves.
  • 180 Proof
    Humans seem to be machines for making meaning - drawing connections and telling stories. Hence, culture, art, entertainment, religion, literature, philosophy, science, etc, etc. We can't help ourselves. It's our thing. Some of us like our stories to be metanarratives - foundational and transcendent. Some of us are happy with tentative accounts, subject to constant revision.Tom Storm
    :fire: Well said.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet