• Noble Dust
    Please note! This has been posted in the "The Lounge", and is just for fun.

What's your sign? What's your Myers Briggs type? Do you care? Do you scoff at all of it? Any other personality tests you like or don't like?

I'm a Scorpio, and an INFP.
  • Benkei
    As far as I know there are no scientifically verified personality tests, so to that extent I scoff at them all until I see some proof.

Nevertheless, I think life orientation (LIFO) as behavioural descriptions (not personality types!) is very useful when working in teams. Once you can peg a dominant behaviour on someone, it tends to be easier to understand where they're coming from and how they are going to react. That allows me to react or even anticipate in my communication towards them. As a manager, you need to be able to vacilitate between these different behaviours as circumstances require. Ideally, you don't have a dominant behaviour then.

That said, I've been classified an ENTP and a Cancer.
  • Agustino
    INTJ. It's an indication, but not great.

That allows me to react or even anticipate in my communication towards them. As a manager, you need to be able to vacilitate between these different behaviours as circumstances require.Benkei
    Oh dear... >:O

I know a style of management too. It's called bang your fist, but first make sure you have a table underneath, otherwise you'll bang your own foot ;)

That said, I've been classified an ENTP and a Cancer.Benkei
    I'm not so sure about the first, but for the latter I've seen ample evidence >:O
  • Wosret
    I'm Gemini, the Rat, and INFJ!

All totes legit.
  • Thorongil
    Pisces. INTJ.
  • BC
    I'm a scorpio; I think Myers Briggs and horoscopes are both piles of crap. Myers Briggs is a self-perpetuating fad. A well-written horoscope column is more interesting than MBTI jabber in the employees lounge.

Personality tests are difficult to construct and prepare for real-world use. Take the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, for comparison: It consists of about 600 mostly non-inferential statements, such as "I like to paint flowers." The questions are answered with agree/indifferent/disagree. Some of the questions are designed to test whether the test-taker is answering the questions consistently, and thoughtfully. The test was administered to thousands of psychiatric patients with known diagnoses, then the responses were characterized by diagnosis. When individuals take the test, their responses are (statistically) compared with the responses of the mental hospital patients.

Most people score as "normal". Their responses don't match the patients' responses. But gay men, for instance, tend to show up as notable on the masculinity/feminity scale. (there are no specific questions about being gay.) People who are bi-polar tend to score high on that measure, and so on.

Even so, the test is not as reliable or as valid as the best intelligence tests.

the MBTI does poorly on reliability. Research shows “that as many as three-quarters of test takers achieve a different personality type when tested again,”

“A test is valid if it predicts outcomes that matter. Few consistent relationships between type and managerial effectiveness have been found.”

"Those who love MBTI have been seduced by an image of their own ideal self.”
  • Canis
    Virgo, INTJ.

I view MBTI as a little more legit than astrology but generally in the same ballpark. Still, it's fun and does seem to offer some insight into people's cognitive styles and behaviour.
  • Noble Dust

I feel the same way. If someone feels like they connect to the description, then that's fine. If they feel it's inaccurate, then go with that. Sometimes it's nice to have a language, regardless of how superficial, with which to talk about personalities.

I personally identify more as an INFP than I do as a Scorpio. But on the other hand, I could see how each sort of defines a different side of my personality. The INFP in me is the altruistic, "God is Love" side, while the Scorpio side contains more of the dark, hidden and aggressive parts of my personality. Who knows.
  • Noble Dust

I'm not only a Scorpio, but also a Snake. Yikes...
  • Wosret

Puzzle wrapped in an enigma, locked inside a quandary are you?

Remember to always take the right path, but not the right path. The right path is the wrong path, so don't take that one, but take the right one.
  • Noble Dust

That's basically my life's story, so...
  • Wosret
    If the story is unsatisfying, then it's a lie, and you're listening to the wrong one.
  • Wosret

Um... you seemed unsatisfied with that, so I was saying horoscopes are bullshit then, and then a song about writing the story of your own life...

Do I win at mystique? It's kind of like a power, I don't mind mystery.
  • Noble Dust

No, mystique is my thing; ask anyone here who thinks my views are bullshit. I'm the Scorpio after all, not you..
  • Wosret

Okay, okay, fine. It's your thing.

I'm not really sure what my thing is. Maybe my thing is not having a thing. That's a thing, right?
  • Noble Dust

Maybe that's a Gemini thing?
  • Wosret

Did you not like me saying that horoscopes are bullshit? I didn't say that unequivocally, and said they were legit above. I said that if it was unsatisfying then it was bullshit -- as in, no one knows you better than you. If something is right then it's right, and wrong if it's wrong, horoscope or otherwise, that's just a tautology.

Don't think I was like dissing them if you do. No intended scoffing.
  • Noble Dust

I wasn't really sure what you were getting at, but I wasn't too worried either. No worries regardless. Leave it to a philosophy forum member to explain the details of their sarcastic comments in hindsight :P Cheers, mate
  • Wosret

None of my comments were sarcastic.
  • Noble Dust

*correction*, leave it to a philosophy forum member to suddenly lose their sense of humor when anything they said is taken under the scalpel... :-}
  • Wosret

Ouch, you got me, you win, oh the pain.

That one's sarcastic.
  • Wosret
    Look, my spidey senses were just telling me that you weren't having as good a time as I was, so, being the kind of person I am, I asked myself what I could have done to cause it. I'm great like that.

Anyway, sorry about the sarcastic comment, and if you felt like I was mocking you or whatever before. Wasn't intentional. You have a good night, there, gotta got to sleep now myself.
  • Noble Dust
    Huh, I was being sarcastic the whole time until I said this:

I wasn't really sure what you were getting at, but I wasn't too worried either. No worries regardless.Noble Dust

Not even sure what just happened, in that case. Cheers either way! No hard feelings at all. All my comments here were in the spirit of this thread being in "the lounge". Sorry if it came off otherwise. I did take things in a bit of a more sarcastic direction with the youtube postings. I just thought it was funny (any Nicholas Cage reference is funny to me). Sorry if it was otherwise.
  • anonymous66
    I was born in late December. I identify as INTJ.
  • praxis
    I've always like the IAT tests.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.