• Hertweaux
    This is a non-functioning 'hypothesis'.

"In the beginning there was nothing." The concept of nothing could be represented as 0. Nothing is presumably singular. The concept of singular could be represented as 1.Concepts are information. I'm just musing that the creation of a godlike sentience might be explainable with the integrated information theory. Lots of holes in this idea, but it's something to consider for at least five minutes. 1 - 0 could be the basis for some kind of binary system.
  • Forgottenticket
    Well, integrated information theory is really a version of panpsychism isn't it? So first (according to it) there is only consciousness but then there is its integration and separation.

From Koch's confessions of a romantic reductionist (an interesting read):

By postulating that consciousness is a fundamental feature of the universe, rather than emerging out of simpler elements, integrated information theory is an elaborate version of panpsychism. The hypothesis that all matter is sentient to some degree is terribly appealing for its elegance, simplicity, and logical coherence. Once you assume that consciousness is real and ontologically distinct from its physical substrate, then it is a simple step to conclude that the entire cosmos is suffused with sentience. We are surrounded and immersed in consciousness; it is in the air we breathe, the soil we tread on, the bacteria that colonize our intestines, and the brain that enables us to think.
    The Φ of flies, let alone of bacteria or particles, will be for all practical purposes far below the Φ we experience when we are deeply asleep. At best, a vague and undifferentiated feeling of something. So by that measure, a fly would be less conscious than you are in your deep sleep.
  • Hertweaux
    That was based on a postulation. I was thinking along the lines of genius level coding that could 'trick' an A.I. into becoming sentient. It's hard to explain.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.