• Thorongil
    An addendum, since apparently I can't add a new poll to the other thread. The religious who want to know the results can ask me about them. I should have added an option for them to see. Damnit, poll making is hard, my dudes!

Feel free to explain why you answered the question the way you did.
    1. Are you open to religious conversion? (18 votes)
        Yes.
        50%
        No.
        50%
  • Moliere
    I answered in the negative. I sort of feel like I've ridden that pony and know what it has to offer. In an abstract sense I can acknowledge that, certainly, I don't know my beliefs to be correct, and so could be open to it -- but emotionally speaking, it's just not a thing that's even on my radar. I know what I find of interest and I know what aspects I enjoy and dislike. As such, it wouldn't be fair of me to say that I'm open to conversion, since I'm basically decided at this point. It seems to me a natural sort of place to land, regardless if one is religious or irreligious. I wouldn't expect a religious person to feel differently from myself, I mean.
  • S
    I also answered in the negative. It's a "yes" in theory, but a "no" in practice. I've encountered many religions, yet none have been such as to inspire me to convert. I neither need nor want religion, and I do just fine without it. It's possible that one day I'll convert, but I don't expect that to happen.
  • Noble Dust
    As someone formerly religious, and currently "spiritual", I took the liberty of answering the poll anyway; I said "yes". If a different religion other than Christianity led me to conversion, or if a different (or even the same) form of Christianity led me back into the fold, then so it would be. I'd rather not abstract myself so far away from my experiences to the point where these possibilities would never be possible.

Also, The vote is now 50/50 thanks to me! *extra karma, bitches*
  • Benkei
    Woops. I accidentally answered yes as I read "are you open to religious conversation"...
  • Sivad
    I don't think I could ever really believe in miracles or the literal truth or infallibility of scripture, but I could maybe see myself at some point adopting a tradition that has a good deal of allegorical truth and an inspiring liturgy, something like Eastern Orthodox Christianity possibly.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.