• schopenhauer1

Before I answer, I guess I’m getting confused are you debating my interpretation or Schopenhauer himself?
  • Metaphysician Undercover

As i said, I am not very familiar with Schopenhauer.
  • Janus
    Space/time/causality is the necessary conditions for Will’s playground which is not prior but one and the same as Will. They are never disentangled. The Will is “dreaming itself” (maya) immediately.

Schopenhauer did not deny that goals could be met. It was just the never ending nature of the goals, and the fact that one never truly got satisfaction from obtaining the goals so I don’t think that interpretation is quite accurate in terms of completion.
    schopenhauer1

The most primal experience, I would say, is of embodiment. Body as experienced is primordially spatio-temporal and causal (in the sense that we find we can act in and on the world). Before all else we are a dynamic and vulnerable body-mind in a dynamic and dangerous world.

We do satisfy our desires (sometimes). but of course satisfaction is temporary, everything in a temporal world is temporary because everything is changing constantly. The desire for permanent satisfaction is thus absurd. If we give up that desire we may become, ironically, satisfied in the moment which never ends.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet