• introbert
    When I first started working as a mechanic there was an initial transition between being a person of impractical ideas that could not be purposefully actualized, to being reformed as a social type that thinks and acts according to role in a larger social system. The nature of the knowledge required in the trade was not the kind that I had been inclined to ruminate on which was by nature more abstract. Due to this conflict I experienced there was an immediate synthesis of mechanics and abstraction that I call idea mechanics, concepts of which were already extant in the collective knowledge of society.

There are a few main points I would like to address, starting with idea as machine, machine as thinking device, and some examples of these devices and how they are understood. I lead with idea as machine, as it is the basic contention of this writing that what I currently am assembling is a machine. Looking at technical drawings of an entire functioning system that takes some type of content and produces some kind of intentional conclusion, if you can see that materially, is the basic concept of a machine. I have a basic schematic of the machine as idea that I currently build, even though not all the components are materially analogical. Even a material machine's parts have conceptual aspects that are not apparent as part of it's physical form. This can be due to black-boxing where the idea of the mechanism is the conceptual whole, but how it works is concealed by the ready-made and plug-and-play simplicity of what is a standard mechanism. Any one of the words in this machine is black-box, plug-and-play so they are idea abstracted from a real-world material basis that functions because it is expected to function a certain way even though it represents something intricately mechanistic about a potentially understandable physic. It is possible to take every one of the words in this machine and reduce them to a material phenomenon that makes them understandable, but in standard use is simply accepted as pure idea and taken for granted.

With that preliminary system loosely assembled but achieving some of its intention, I'll turn to the next component in line that will add value to the preceding product. Machine as thinking device is separate in function from idea as machine, as it takes the product of the first stage and works it into something more useful, something more specific in function like a progression of raw material that can be used for a wide range of things into something with narrower range or scope. Idea as thinking device is simply an introduction to the final stage where some concepts will be produced that will not only have added value from a raw state, but also sell the entire machine that produces them. A machine that is a thinking device has a material property that is easily converted to a mechanistic idea. All words are, but some like lever, fulcrum, revolution, power, drive etc. can each be worked into a thought system to construct social systems. I will proceed to produce each part and then assemble them into a system where they are used.

Lever is a basic mechanical tool. It uses mechanical advantage to multiply force. A lever is linear, but it is relates to revolution. It works in tandem with a fulcrum, however a lever does not produce a necessary effect if the fulcrum is at the very end when it becomes simply a switch, the effect of which turns the lever user into an operator rather than mechanic. From lever and fulcrum there is produced several types of conceptual machines, the most important to the social machine being the balance or scale. The balance is a symbol of legal rationality and equality, and ruminations on this can make a complex machine that is hard to build and likely to fail. In this simple idea justice will be seen as a balance where the fulcrum can move to give some integral parts more or less power in acting against other parts. The fulcrum will be blackboxed in this machine, but it can do everything from granting extreme power, to reducing someone to simply an operator with no actual control but still is integral in the system. As the fulcrum shifts it produces revolutions, a complete revolution being when any given point rises or falls vertically then goes the the complete opposite way it had been moving horizontally only to return to its original point. In a social system when power shifts and revolution occurs the rising and falling is the centrifugal nature of leverage or balance in the system. This can be seen in a parliamentary or congressional system or in interactions between people where the ability to use the outlined mechanisms with skill or authority can make changes in the larger machine. In the end the final product of this total machine, is like a car, it is intended to produce drive, but also more types of machines like it. Drive is a motive power, a will produced by mechanism and energy that can be productive, destructive, rational, and irrational.

I see cars as mostly destructive and irrational, but someone else sees the complete opposite. However that fulcrum shifts is beyond the scope of this mechanic.
    1. What are cars? (3 votes)
        Productive, rational
          0%
        Destructive, irrational
        100%
  • alan1000
    I've noticed a sudden influx of posts in more than one forum which are peculiarly Existentialist in flavour. I have three hypotheses to explain this:

1. It's just a part of the natural flow of any philosophy forum.

2. There is a sudden flood of posts by Sartrean Existentialists who are experiencing philosophical menopause.

3. The posts are generated by AI.
  • Joshs

I've noticed a sudden influx of posts in more than one forum which are peculiarly Existentialist in flavour. …There is a sudden flood of posts by Sartrean Existentialists who are experiencing philosophical menopausealan1000

This sounds more like Deleuzian poststructuralism than Sartrean Existentialism
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.