• Andrew4Handel
    Can we force people to believe things?

Should we try and force people to believe things we want them to believe? (Climate change/overpopulation/values/science etc)

Does reason cause beliefs or something else (for example emotions)?

Can we decide whose beliefs are right and should be prioritised?
    1. Can beliefs be forced? (3 votes)
        No
          0%
        Yes
        33%
        Sometimes
        33%
        Beliefs are not true if forced.
        33%
  • Andrew4Handel
    Did I post this here or has it been moved here?
  • Sir2u
    Can we force people to believe things?Andrew4Handel

Yes we can, it happens all the time. Should we is another question.

Should we try and force people to believe things we want them to believe?Andrew4Handel

We should try in some cases, for example "People should not vote for presidents like Trump". But trying and succeeding are again two different things.

Does reason cause beliefs or something else (for example emotions)?Andrew4Handel

Most people have some sort of emotions attached to their beliefs, which is cause and which is affect has been a matter of discussion for may years.

Can we decide whose beliefs are right and should be prioritised?Andrew4Handel

Education above and beyond the university of farcebook, twatter and wankipedia would be preferred when trying to do so, but not necessarily needed if one can use the brain to do research through other media.

Did I post this here or has it been moved here?Andrew4Handel

Don't worry about it, if anyone is interested they will find it.
  • Agent Smith
    Eppur si muove! — Galileo Galilei

Argumentum ad baculum (argument from the stick)

Argumentum ad carota (argument from the carrot)

The Muslim conquest of Africa and central Asia and South Asia involved conversion by the sword.

Christian proselytizing is largely accomplished with the daucus carota subsp. sativus.
  • Kizzy
    We should try in some cases, for example "People should not vote for presidents like Trump". But trying and succeeding are again two different things.Sir2u

If you force things like that, you will miss out or make it more difficult being able to weed out people like you mentioned in your interesting, specific, and overrated example of "people who want to vote for Trump" [get over it already]...if you want to vote for trump and wear his merchandise and put stickers and flags hanging off your belongings and being, that is one thing, if you need to vote for him is another and that is just the surface of a problem started long ago.

Want>Need i think.....want vs need, need is a force so how do you need things you dont know what you even want?........

Force is a word ive been honing in on and mentioning a lot when it comes to nature and the earths natural occurrences everyday..its not something to be measured or scaled but noticed and noted. I think forces can be dangerous and unjust. Avoidable or a prevention to forces should be to take serious. With force comes a natural balance or order to maintain, to be determined and settled ultimately within nature and timing, good or bad both equally.

...force and initiation are different, soooo close though but close doesnt cut it here...you cant just round up, like you can in school in math and make it even!!! Just a decimal place, no biggie. That sounds convenient and depends on who is asking. Math is numbers, numbers are words and words are forces, forces are everything, then where is the balance? Oh yeah, right here...

Nature doesnt read and or listen to words, it is and it is just, and so unbothered by any forces an individual may possibly bring. People are predictable, when their emotions are rightly accounted for along with their beliefs and whereabouts/current living status/mindset then we have power to not force but show and guide and initiate without FORCE.
    A negative force, will come to an equilibrium by the balance of natures laws and what is naturally supposed to happen, justice will be served and there is no judge, jury, miracle that can undo it.

I understand cause and effect could together be a force and they together lead to the same end, on good or worse terms.

Do your best today, you will still die with a great imagination.....but in your case,Sir2u, from the example you CHOSE and seem to direct focus' on is what is expected of you and those very people.. and that issue you seem to think is important here...isnt a problem. Its the forces you pretend people NEED to take to positively make a change in politics because its a topic you WANT to get into.
    Again..wants>needs. i didnt want to know the political stance you take, but fortunately i was able to notice your emotions through your comment about peoples emotions you have a problem with....your emotions arent far from your beliefs, you said so. AND EVEN IF you dont believe in your example, you just used it because you find it relatable and relevant, well in that case, I learn a lot more...you, Sir2u, are making my point i am realizing as i tend to ramble, i really thank you. I am writing all this for me by the way, no one else, as these are my immediate thoughts upon reading the thread and I'm actively dissecting my own emotions and beliefs, and I know nothing except everything I need to know right now.

Knowing those specific people (and now knowing you a little better from your tone and choices of examples with little insight and seeming very sure of your thoughts on forcing people)
    .......Knowing these things, as triggering as they really are [biting my tongue,even though im typing...i write how i speak...(a little about me since you shared so much lol)

...Knowing those people who vote like its nothing (people that should be forced because of a political opinion) lol also (trump wasnt the only joke of an option but was probably the most funny/entertaining --joke of a position, what better person to fill the role than a comedian which he is...lol) i digress......
    Same goes for people having babies with multiple partners giving life like its nothing....they are better targets, or to put it not as harshly, they are unnecessary necessities. (is that less harsh? oh well) Nobodies that make you somebody. Their emotions are what matter and if people knew themselves others wouldnt have to worry about forcing others to do things like vote...thats insane. And not a worry i feel of importance..force is bigger than this example its not controllable.

...the better you can target these individuals, the easier it could be to force or better yet SEE the problem that is PEOPLE "thinking" they are powerful enough to FORCE a large group of others, is in fact, A FORCE, especially when you have no one or bad references to vouch for you. Credibility, likeability, and other qualities may help the force seem natural and needed. Force is sometimes disguised as suggestions especially with dominating technology, which should not be looked at in a negative light when distinguishing educated people... education as a department is a force..in a way. But its structure, which i think is somewhat important, and another topic of grand discussion....

Force is unintentional sometimes, that i find more interesting.
  • Kizzy
    where did you originally post? or where did you mean to post this?
  • Kizzy
    is anyone worried or just curious for their own sake?
  • Andrew4Handel
    I meant to post this in general discussion but it somehow ended up here there is a similar thread called "Belief formation" that I successfully started in General Discussion. There might be some way of merging the contents.
  • Sir2u
    You have picked just one of the things I said and rambled on without making any sense at all. I have no idea what most of your writing actually is supposed to mean or how it is related to the OP.
    The rest appears to be saying that because I picked an example about a politician I am not fit to post an answer to. If I had mentioned people that disregard climate change instead of trump, would you have judged me differently?
    By the way, I am neither American nor political in any way. So the comment in no way represents my way of thinking.

Your ideas could have made a reasonable thread, but when you start attacking people that reply you are lost.
    Bye.
  • Kizzy
    I do apologize, you are right I do appear to be attacking you not rightfully but not unreasonably. I do think I would've judged you differently if you used the climate change example instead, I dont think I would have responded to this post at all actually if you used that. Which makes me glad that I "attacked" your comment because it brought out something in me. I am reminded that I have to work on formatting my ideas and thoughts in a better way to be understood, if that is of course what I want to come from those ideas. I'm not here for that yet, i just wanted to question you personally Sir2u.
    What I wrote was directed towards the person who might believe in that example you used...I think what you choose to be picked up by others says something about you. But you are right, I should be careful when judging, and of course...I can only judge so much through a forum and a single comment on the forum at that. (obviously you are more and represent way more than what you express in a single comment) I did stray off topic, but because I was moved by your contributions. I am not apologizing for attacking, because I meant to attack whomever stands by your example...I am sorry for losing you in my attack, and will work on finding better ways to address people who post triggering examples. I didnt have anything really useful or worthy enough to post before reading for comment, and clearly I need to work on formatting my thoughts better... I am aware. But my thinking stemmed from a feeling I felt after reading your contribution to the OP and I think that means something. I am learning, thanks for responding.
  • Sir2u
    I do apologize, you are right I do appear to be attacking youKizzy

Accepted
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.