• believenothing
    We are all probably going to die, I doubt that anyone has ever survived. What we do in the mean time is mostly mundane and inconsequential. I'm exhagerating. What I mean to get across is that it seems most people are wasting their time instead of investing real effort into worthy activities. Who knows what a worthy activity is? If we are all going to die and all we can leave behind with any chance of lasting is either children or wisdom or both, then how many people are not really investing into the future? If we are not busy inventing or creating things that will outlive us then we are probably just distracted by reality.. Life is just a bunch of distractions. If you were not already focussed on something, then what would you be doing exactly?
  • believenothing
    Distractions are everywhere and I could summerise by pointing out that reality is a distraction. All the really cool stuff and important stuff lives in the realm of the unreal and the yet to be and maybe in the past. If it wasn't for the dreamers and the thinkers then we wouldn't really be able to make any progress. I can't stop wandering if there is any meaning for anything, or any ultimate goal that can be reached before the end of everything?
  • believenothing
    Maybe ideas are not important until they are made real? But then they just become distractions..? Can someone please enlighten me?
  • 180 Proof
    Living, after all, is only a distraction from dying. My life distracts me (less with each passing decade) from my death. And so it goes. C'est la vie. Amor fati.
    :death: :flower:
  • TheMadMan
    "An unexamined life is not worth living".
    Everything is a distraction to an untrained dog.
    Work on your attention.
    Let not your monkey mind lead your life.
  • Pantagruel
    If nothing survived our transitory being then there would be no progress. But there is progress, culture advances, knowledge grows. So in some way, we do participate in a collective enterprise that does endure. Which is meaningful.
  • universeness
    Fun, happiness, joy, belonging, common experience, love, cause (even a hopeless one), dreams, imagination, awe, wonder, inspiration, aspiration, hope and this list is not a complete list.
    A fulfilled life does not knock on your door and offer itself to you in a pretty box with a nice bow on top:

Baby, life's what you make it
    Can't escape it
    Baby, yesterday's favourite
    Don't you hate it?
    (Everything's all right)
    Life's what you make it
    (Everything's all right)
    Don't backdate it
    Baby, don't try to shade it
    Beauty's naked
    (Everything's all right)
    Life's what you make it
    (Everything's all right)
    What you make it
    Celebrate it!
    Anticipate it

Yesterday's faded
    Nothing can change it
    Life's what you make it
    (Everything's all right)
    Life's what you make it
    (Everything's all right)
    Life's what you make it
    (Everything's all right)
    Yeah, yeah
    (Everything's all right)
    Baby
    (Everything's all right)
  • punos

What exactly are you being distracted from that you don't want to be distracted from?
  • ChatteringMonkey
    Can someone please enlighten me?believenothing

Yes I can enlighten you, you seem to be under the assumption that something is only meaningful if it persists indefinitely or something is only meaningful relative to some ultimate goal or consequence. In that case nothing is meaningful because of the ultimate heat dead of the universe, but more importantly the choice of ultimate consequences or goals as the only thing that is relevant is arbitrary, and need not be the only way we look at meaning.
  • Joshs
    ↪believenothing

What exactly are you being distracted from that you don't want to be distracted from?
    punos

Participating in the OP he started?
  • Agent Smith
    To me the distractions is life. We're not here on some kinda mission to do something specific. We're here to look around, explore, create a magnificent mandala and watch it being blown away ... into oblivion by the careless wind. This is not, I repeat this is not, a military operation! :grin:
  • 180 Proof
    While I thought I was learning to live, I have been learning to die. — Leonardo da Vinci
  • TiredThinker

Nothing we make will live long after us. DaVinci's Mona Lisa isn't nearly as crisp as it once was. Hasn't even been a thousand years. Our accomplishments shouldn't be physical. Nothing lasts here.
  • Tom Storm
    Life is just a bunch of distractions. If you were not already focussed on something, then what would you be doing exactly?believenothing

When I was around 10 my Dad told me that life was just filling in time until you die. He winked and said, 'Make it good and be of use to others.'
  • 180 Proof
    When I was around 10 my Dad told me that life was just filling in time until you die. He winked and said, 'Make it good and be of use to others.'Tom Storm
    Wise man.

:death: :flower:
  • Agent Smith
    This meme I can relate to, havta share.

1. Birth.
    2. WTF??!!
    3. Death
  • believenothing
    What exactly are you being distracted from that you don't want to be distracted from?punos

I really have no specific idea. Just contemplation or meditation or some kind of discovery process maybe.
  • believenothing
    I think I spend too much time on autopilot waiting for the next dream.
  • javi2541997

Mass media power of influence.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.