• god must be atheist
    This is a highly personal thread. I wish for it to get like posts: people talking about their personal experiences, and not about generalized opinions.

You don't need to write in as exacting details as I have, but it would help if you stuck to the given scale of comparison / absolute value I used here, when you want to describe your mood in a more evaluative way.

Happiness is a mood. A state of existence.

It is not a simple on-off state; it is a spectrum.

I wonder how other people rate their happiness.

I: There is a baseline feeling, that is not happy, not sad, not depressed, not painful, not pleasurable.

+ 10 is the happiest state a person can attain. Theoretically.
    - 10 is the worst possible state. Full of pain, anguish, fear.
    0 is the baseline feeling or mood.

There were times in my life when I hit -7 and they lasted, in the last 30-35 years, about a day or so.

In my twenties, -5 was the baseline, and hit -7 for weeks at a time. Twice I dipped below -8 for a week.

In my pre-teens I was floating at around +2 or +3, and hit +7 a few times for a moment or two. In my teens I floated at around -2, -3, occasionally hitting +7. I especially hit +7 during times when I was bringing up nostalgia from my earlier life with the help from friends. One session lasted about 5 minutes. This ability to rely on nostalgia evaporated when I emigrated from my homeland at age 18.

In my recent years, my baseline is anywhere between -1 and +1, occasionally rising to +3 for an hour or two in a day. Once or twice I hit +7, on the average once every five years, each episode lasting a moment, except in very recent times (within six months ago) I hit +7 about three times, each lasting only for a moment.

The longest strong feeling in the positive end was a +7 that went on for three to four hours, non-stop. I had come home from a coffee house, and I put on a tape, Santana's live albums stringed end-to-end. I was grinning the whole time. No, I was not on drugs. I have no clue what had precipitated that. Might have been the coffee. A big cuppa of Second Cup coffee.

In summary, I can say that put my big O's end-to-end lasted longer than putting my +7s end-to-end.
  • 180 Proof
    For as long as I can remember I believe my feelings of "happiness" have fluctuated daily, even weekly, from -2 to +2 (at most), but always only in hindsight. I suppose I'm "moody" enough not to flatline or numbly sleepwalk through my daily grind.

NB: Santana (esp. Lotus & Moonflower) always has me grinning like an idiot, stoned or not. :up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.