• TheMadMan

Ignorance is knowing the partial as the whole.
    The knowledge of good and evil is in duality. As the knowledge of one creates the other.
    Duality is the fragmentation of the One into the many. Love-Hate Life-Death Day-Night Beauty-Ugly
    So any knowledge in duality is partial knowledge thus ignorance.
  • Agent Smith
    :chin:

You have a point. Hence, thus, therefore, ergo, as you were, soldier!
  • T Clark
    The underlying premises of morality are based on social factors, such as the principle of the golden rule of treating others as one would wish to be treated, as well as morality existing socially as a form of social contract.Jack Cummins

This is a good point.
  • T Clark
    As I said before I'm not speaking of the ordinary man but beyond it. I pointed to the man of Chuang Tzu, Zarathustra's etc.TheMadMan

As I wrote previously and as comments by others highlight, I think you are being unnecessarily rigid in your understanding of how morality works for regular people.
  • TheMadMan
    Where is the rigidity?
  • T Clark
    Where is the rigidity?TheMadMan

As I've said, you underestimate the compassion of normal, everyday, non-enlightened people.
  • 180 Proof
    :up:

Duality is the fragmentation of the One into the many.TheMadMan
    And what if "the one" is an illusion, merely a simplifying abstraction from "the many", just an indexical of "this one" or "not that one"? :chin:
  • TheMadMan
    Interesting question.

If The One is an illusion then each fragment would have an independent reality.
    Then we would be able to find the unchangeable good and the unchangeable evil.
    Each fragment would be an 'absolute' reality on its own, for without The One there is no continuity or interrelation.

I cannot comprehend a reality where everything is independent.
    From my own observation and scientific knowledge what we call things, events and phenomena are really within spectrums and interrelations.
    Even the scientist for years have tried to find the Unifying Theory of Everything.
    Even for them, the universal laws in order to work as they work, they have to come out of the same source.

Imagine dismantling a car to each individual piece.
    Give them a shuffle and throw all the pieces on the floor.
    What do you have? Where did the car go? All the pieces are there.
    Without the laws needed to create the 'car', the individual pieces are just that, pieces.
  • Agent Smith

@180 Proof is of the view that religion is puerile (childish) - some of us then, I presume, never outgrow our childhood (imaginary) friend aka god. The corollary then is we grow up and face the world/reality with courage and not be/stay Peter Pans, forever wrapped up in a fantasized security blanket aka god.
  • TheMadMan

If by 'religion' you mean organized religions as they historically are, I too find them ultimately childish and detrimental to the pursuit of truth.
    It's like trying to catch the wind in a box.
  • Agent Smith
    So by religion you mean something else. Pray tell what that is.
  • TheMadMan

To me religion is the personal journey of growth of an individual. The growth being the unveiling of deeper levels of reality.
  • Agent Smith
    To me religion is the personal journey of growth of an individual. The growth being the unveiling of deeper levels of reality.TheMadMan

Lovely!
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.