• Agent Smith
    Solipsism [from solus (alone) and ipse (self)]: The belief that the only thing one can be certain to exist is oneself. Rests on the possibility that everything except oneself could be an illusion (re Descartes' cogito).

Multialiusism [from multi (many) and alius (other)]: The belief that the only thing one can be certain to exist is the other. Hasta be based off of the possibility that everything except oneself could be real or that the self could be an illusion (re anatta in Buddhism).
  • 180 Proof
    A corollary of fallibilism we can be certain of 'anything' for which we lack grounds to doubt (Witty).
  • god must be atheist
    Possibilitism: in an infinite universe every possible state of matter and affairs is bound to exist.

Potentialism: In a finite space anything possible must occur given infinite time.

Exotemporabilism: I don't know what that is. Something that is outside of the time in the universe. I can't imagine what it is, though. No clue what it could be.
  • Agent Smith

Is it's possible that Mark wasn't home that day a good justification for I doubt if Mark killed Susan? It's possible that what we consider to be reality could be an illusion. Do I now posses a good reason to doubt the authenticity of reality?
  • Agent Smith

Principle of plenitude
    1. Static = Possibilitism
    2. Dynamic = Potentialism

Exotemporabilism is a regular feature in religion.
  • god must be atheist
    Thank you, Agent Smith! I always bow to your immense amount of lexical knowledge, far superior to mine.
  • god must be atheist
    multialiasism - the practice of having more than one identity by the same one user on a forums-based website
  • Agent Smith
    Thank you, Agent Smith!god must be atheist

:up:

I always bow to your immense amount of lexical knowledge, far superior to mine.god must be atheist

You jest of course.
  • Agent Smith
    Would the thought everything exists except me qualify as a delusion?
  • god must be atheist
    Would the thought everything exists except me qualify as a delusion?Agent Smith

In a psychiatric sense, yes; in a philosophical sense it is a false statement.
  • god must be atheist
    You jest of course.Agent Smith

Well, the fact is that I know very little. I haven't progressed to the ultimate knowledge, that is, to be able to truthfully claim I know nothing; but I'm approaching it tangentially.
  • Agent Smith
    I think I'm an illusion. Am I mad?
  • god must be atheist
    Depends on your pov. If you think someone else regards you as an illusion, then you are not mad. If you, yourself, regard yourself as an illusion, then take two aspirins and I'll see you in the morning.
  • 180 Proof
    No.

Yes (e.g. anosognosia.) Also, to claim, or believe, "I do not exist" is a performative contradiction.

Well, since one is not objectively what one subjectively seems, one is illusiory. You only can outrun your own shadow, Smith, if you're "mad". :eyes:
  • Agent Smith
    Very helpful comment. Bookmarked it (anosognosia) for future reference.

The 3 marks of existence (re Buddhism)
    1. Anicca (impermanence)
    2. Anatta (no self)
    3. [ii]Dukkha[/i] (suffering/unsatisfactoriness)
  • Tobias
    Would the thought everything exists except me qualify as a delusion?Agent Smith

The point of the cogito is that that is a contradictory position. If you state that something, whatever it is, exists, than the substance making that statement has to exist as well. We immediately come up against the 'I' stating it. It does not necessarily have to be an 'I' with all the features we commonly attach to it, but there is 'thinking substance', res cogintans.
  • 180 Proof
    I think, more precisely, anatta means "no" permanent – independently existent – "self" (i.e. ego is imaya (an illuson) due to attachment, or karma (habit) of treating the impermanent (self) as "permanent").
  • Agent Smith
    @180 Proof@Tobias

Contextualize the following statement made by me within solipsism.

I don't exist. — Agent Smith
  • god must be atheist
    I don't exist. — Agent Smith
    This is an occurrance. It is dependent on someone saying this. It can't exist (the statement) without someone uttering it.

My money is on you uttering it. The only way to go around that is to show an picture of your image, and a ventriloquist says "I don't exist", giving the illusion that the picture of the imaginary person said that.

Imagine you don't exist, but someone insists that the picture shows you. Then the ventriloquist convinces us that the image says "I don't exist".

But this is too much trouble. To make this happen, you'd need to hire 1. a ventriloquist, 2. An artist or photographer to create an image of you, 3. an agent of fortune to make sure you don't exist at the time of this event.

This would cost too much just to make sure we understand that you don't exist when the ventriloquist says "I don't exist."
  • Paine

Solipsism founders on the existence of the image as image.

Narcissus falls in love with his image and does not see the pool. Nor does he see himself as he exists.
  • Agent Smith
    Or rather, @180 Proof, @Tobias, @god must be atheist

I exist.Agent Smith
  • Agent Smith
    Solipsism founders on the existence of the image as image.

Narcissus falls in love with his image and does not see the pool. Nor does he see himself as he exists.
    Paine

Double whammy!
  • god must be atheist

I exist.
    Agent Smith

I see myself as existing; the image of me is conceptualized. It is not the same thing as myself, but rather an illusion. However, it is not the same as to say that I AM an illusion; it is only the image I see myself as, which is the illusion.

With the same token, you can say that you exist, because to have an illusionary self-image, you must exist to generate or else to see or conceptualize this self-image, because without you existing, there would not be any illusions that you experience.
  • Agent Smith

:up:

Nice!

That's a reshash of Descartes' cogito etgo sum.
  • Paine
    That's a reshash of Descartes' cogito etgo sum.Agent Smith

That formulation leaves out a critical component. Is one being deceived by design, or can one proceed in the confidence that it would be stupid to fool somebody who is pretty clueless to start with?
  • Agent Smith
    That formulation leaves out a critical component. Is one being deceived by design, or can one proceed in the confidence that it would be stupid to fool somebody who is pretty clueless to start with?Paine

Therein lies the rub.
  • Agent Smith
    The Western mind has always been directed outwards, relatively that is. With this outer mindset, the West is now in charge of mamma nature - flattening mountains, creating islands, diverting rivers, draining lakes, irrigating deserts, etc.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.