• Banno
    Facts trump valuesAndrew4Handel

Sure. But far from interesting.

its value is subjective to our desires.Andrew4Handel
    That is what values are. That they are subjective does not, as you seem to suppose, render them irrelevant.

There is a conflict of values.Andrew4Handel

Sure. Therefore there are values.

The bolded bit. You can't escape it. You have to choose what to do, god or no god. That the responsibility rests with you and not the all-father is part of realising that you are human.

The values invoked by religion were transcendent eternal values and this life a temporary stop over. Life felt eternal because you believed you had an immortal spirit/soul. No one would be left behind because even those with the most short miserable lives would go onto something better.Andrew4Handel

Baby wants his womb back.

Picture me grabbing you by the collar, shaking you and yelling "grow up!" into your face.

Now, what you going to do about it?

Your choice.
  • Agent Smith
    I have become agnostic based on my evaluations of theory, evidence, probability, limitations of knowledge etc.Andrew4Handel

Try Pyrrhonism. For every argument, a counterargument and/or refutation. The scale of truth is perfectly balanced. This aporia (bewilderment/puzzlement) leads to epoché (suspension of judgment) which in this case is agnosticism.
1910111213Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.