• DebateTheBait
    OK so I live in the bible belt and pretty much my entire family is religious.
    So I decided to go ahead and post this on my facebook. Unfortunately I was met with little to none feedback so now I ask of you. Can you find any truth in the words that I have written? Or does it appear to seem like some personal converting agenda?

OK guys it's time we talk about religion. And I hope that you can read these words with a open mind and heart because it is going to take both for you to justify to yourself on where you should stand spiritually. I understand fully what I'm asking for when I question you to question yourself.

As I stated before in asking previous comment, it is not wrong to believe in something. But we have to be careful in what we believe in. If two groups of people believe in an different explanation as to why we are here then we are already asking for conflict. But can you not agree that we are indeed seeking the same answers?

Why should we hold so much value for our answer when it is indeed the question that is important. I am not saying I have the answer for you but I have found my answer from myself that is for myself. And my answer is that I accept no answer because I see the evidence of what giving answer can do. As can we all. And if you can't see the evidence then simply turn on your TV and watch the conflict of answers unfold before your very eyes. So it is not the answer that is so important it is how we ask the question that holds value.

If a man already believes he has all the answers then we will not accept any question from another nevertheless the answer. And if that same man is very prideful of the color of his flag then he will indeed fight and die for it.

This simple understanding has the power to elevate that pain and suffering that stems off of religion. We have to understand that we are all the same in search for answers, but for one to say he has the answers for all must accept that he will indeed bring pain and suffering. There's no way around that.

If these words are powerful to you it is because you choose to accept them. It is not intention to give you an answer, it Is only my intention to give you the self power of questioning my reason. And if you see my reason as just then it Is no longer my reason, it Is yours.

Only you alone can prove to yourself that there is no true and definite answer. I only wish to prove to you the right and just questions we must ask ourselves if we so choose to live with ourselves in peace.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    If a man already believes he has all the answers then we will not accept any question from another nevertheless the answer. And if that same man is very prideful of the color of his flag then he will indeed fight and die for it.DebateTheBait

I believe "certitude" is a double edged sword. When an individual feels certain of the right things, that feeling is the confidence required to carry out one's actions. But when an individual feels certain of the wrong things, those actions will be wrong actions.

Only you alone can prove to yourself that there is no true and definite answer. I only wish to prove to you the right and just questions we must ask ourselves if we so choose to live with ourselves in peace.DebateTheBait

When you prove to yourself that there is no answers to your questions, you put yourself in the place of Socrates who claimed that the only thing he knew was that he didn't know. But if you now approach others, as Socrates did, and attempt to prove to them that they really do not know the things which they believe themselves to be certain of, you are sure to receive scorn.
  • DebateTheBait
    I have to agree with you fully sir.
    However I do indeed believe that this knowledge of ignorance can be educated if that approach is taken carefully with a humble sense of teaching. The information sharing in todays society is far more advanced opposed to Socrates time. Which can be a tool of self empowerment in which we already know to be true.

And you are right about the scorning. It is very prevalent in my friends and family. I can only humbly accept this as a step forward. It is the most challenging step and possibly the only step. But who are we not to strive to take that step in the first place?
  • BC
    I accept no answer because I see the evidence of what giving answer can do.DebateTheBait

You probably do accept answers, but perhaps you are the sort of person who can entertain all possible -- or no possible -- answers, and be content.

we have to be careful in what we believe in.DebateTheBait

One of the most dangerous things we might believe in is our own bullshit.

If two groups of people believe in an different explanation as to why we are here then we are already asking for conflict. But can you not agree that we are indeed seeking the same answers?DebateTheBait

We might be able to agree we are asking the same questions. We may be able to agree on some answers. But conflict in inherent to inquiry, unless everyone asks the same question and accepts the same answer.

This simple understanding has the power to elevate that pain and suffering that stems off of religion. We have to understand that we are all the same in search for answers, but for one to say he has the answers for all must accept that he will indeed bring pain and suffering. There's no way around that.DebateTheBait

Pain and suffering go with the territory of being alive. It's unavoidable.

I also come from a religious family and have been religious, too. I do not now accept the beliefs / answers (mainline Protestant) that I once accepted. I'm quite tolerant of religious beliefs, however, from my more or less atheist viewpoint. Some members of my family are not at all tolerant of others beliefs.

Strong beliefs of any kind challenge others' beliefs and conflicts arise. Whether it's politics, religion, economics, sex, musical preferences--whatever--conflicts arise. I consider conflict, debate, argument... part of the ferment of society. No conflict, no change.

On one level, it makes a great deal of difference what people believe. People who think vaccination cause autism; people who think climate change is a hoax; people who think the US Government planned 9/11 are, in my opinion, wrong.

On another level, it doesn't matter what people believe. If one is caring for other people, their ordinary human needs can be met without considering what lunatic ideas they like.

Sometimes were are in a position of caring for others; sometimes we are in a position of educating others. One wouldn't ask a starving man whether he thought the CIA planned 9/11. On the other hand, if one is teaching history, one can't grant every opinion about 9/11 equal status. Some theories are just too screwy and need to be called out as such.

(None of my pet theories are at all screwy, of course.)
  • DebateTheBait
    Thank you Mr Crank! So far this is the best genuine feedback and I am very humble in it.
    I know you understand these words fully but I'm not sure if you can sense the underlined point of motivation to inspire others with these words. And if you can't than that's completely understandable because you already know this side.
    And I understand that elevating religion pressures won't be the one all fix all for pain and suffering, but it is a start. To have faith in the faithful if I may.

Like I said thank you again for dissecting this rant of mine, I truly appreciate it :)
  • Iconic Moron
    "But can you not agree that we are indeed seeking the same answers?
    -DebateTheBait

I think we are all asking the same questions.

"Why should we hold so much value for our answer when it is indeed the question that is important."
    -DebateTheBait

Most people define themselves to some degree or another by the answers to their deeper philosophical questions.

"Only you alone can prove to yourself that there is no true and definite answer."
    -DebateTheBait

This is a self-defeating proposition. This statement is an answer that presupposes it is definitely true that there are no true and definitive answers.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.