• T Clark
    No. Learning is about memory, and memories are things one becomes aware of when something reminds one. Learning about learning is doubly so. I could put it this way; "Awareness is the present moment", and one can be aware of the past but not in the past. I remember being aware as I wrote that last sentence, that it would likely be confusing, and I am aware as I write this one that I may not be clarifying things much.unenlightened

This point is probably not worth arguing about more than we have.
  • apokrisis
    Now here is something intriguing, or perhaps it is just a matter of accretions of meaning in different contexts ... you seem to be saying that self-consciousness is a barrier to self-awareness. Now I'm wondering what that could mean?unenlightened

Self consciousness is the language-scaffolded skill of applying a socially constructed lens to one’s own behaviour and existence as a creature.

And when we enter a social situation, we are aware we are among other such self-scrutinising selves who will also be scrutinising us as selves.

This will cause the appropriate degree of physiological arousal, as the brain being a prediction engine must gear the body up for the action it must prepare for.

The “self conscious” is a label for those who habitual react with activation of their fight or flight response - a potentially overwhelming anxiety at being trapped by scrutinising judgement. A fear of being exposed to a room of critics.

Others more confident or extrovert may feel some very different physiological reaction. Aha, a chance to put my “self” on show for all to appreciate!
  • Amity
    Lack of confidence, being too self-conscious are hurdles to overcome.
    — Amity

Now here is something intriguing, or perhaps it is just a matter of accretions of meaning in different contexts ... you seem to be saying that self-consciousness is a barrier to self-awareness. Now I'm wondering what that could mean?
    unenlightened

Appreciate the follow-up to something I hadn't thought of as 'intriguing' when I wrote it.
    What was the lead-up to this idea? I need to backtrack:

I question my inner voice: Is that right, is that really what I think?
    It's a wonder anything gets posted at all...actually, things posted have been self-edited and deleted!

And that brings me to confidence and I guess to the OP question. How to develop SA, the barriers, etc.
    Lack of confidence, being too self-conscious are hurdles to overcome.
    If writing is one of the many tools to develop SA, then all the more reason to value it.
    Words matter.

Being creative and productive matters. Even if nobody listens or responds.
    It is a way to find your self, your voice in relation to others.
    Amity

So, how can too much self-consciousness be a barrier to self-awareness?
    I'd been thinking of writing as a tool to develop SA; the way we grow ourselves by thinking and sharing.
    The external and internal obstacles in our path, including our inner voice. The ongoing dialogue which we pay more or less attention to.

I mentioned that it's a wonder anything gets posted due to the self-questioning related to a lack of confidence. [*]. Too much 'self-consciousness' can lead to paralysis; we stop in our tracks.
    If this becomes a permanent feature of our being, our personality, then how are we to develop?

I was also thinking of the 'creative spirit'...and how that can be squashed or not given space.
    If we are labelled or self-label as non-creatives, then that is a major kill-off!

The idea of some kind of invisible 'flow' or 'energy' between mind and body is important to consider.
    How aware are we of what is, or is not, going on...?

When the creative spirit stirs, it animates a style of being: a lifetime filled with the desire to innovate, to explore new ways of doing things, to bring dreams of reality.
    [...]
    While in a flow state, people lose all self-consciousness. The Zen idea of no-mind is similar: a state of complete absorption is what one is doing.

The idea of merging with the activity at hand, which is basic to flow, is intrinsic to Zen. "It's taught in Zen that one performs an action so completely that one loses oneself in the doing of it," Kraft explains. "A master calligrapher, for example, is working in a no-minded way."
    The Art of Creativity - Psychology Today

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/199203/the-art-creativity

An excellent article, worth exploring, I think.
    Think back to building blocks for children; naturally building new empires! And themselves...
    Different sets of blocks; different levels of awareness.

[*]
    The “self conscious” is a label for those who habitual react with activation of their fight or flight response - a potentially overwhelming anxiety at being trapped by scrutinising judgement. A fear of being exposed to a room of critics.

Others more confident or extrovert may feel some very different physiological reaction. Aha, a chance to put my “self” on show for all to appreciate!
    apokrisis

Excellent explanation, thanks.
    Appreciate your 'show' :up:
  • Amity
    I'll try to describe how it feels for me to become aware of something. The first time I remember doing that was while learning Tai Chi. I was having trouble with a move, so I kept doing it over and over. I tried to focus not only on the movements, but how the movements felt in my body. I would ask my teacher "what's it supposed to feel like?" Tai Chi for me has to do with the movement of power through my body, so I would ask "What is the power supposed to do?"T Clark

I had a similar but not quite so intense an experience in Pilates.
    I needed to know how to think about the movement and what it was supposed to achieve.
    How to engage the toes, for goodness sake!

Then I felt something again, I always call it a "tickle." When I paid close attention to that feeling it grew and came into focus. It was a feeling in my body - the muscles, balance, stress - I had not been aware of. After enough practice, it became natural to be aware in that way. That experience and awareness was helpful in working on other moves.

Since then, I've found a similar process takes place in other areas of awareness - intellectual, physical, emotional, social... I guess that's awareness of awareness.
    T Clark

Intriguing, this 'tickle'. I'm trying to remember what my 'feeling' was. I think more of an energy 'trickle'?
    Sometimes a bit sparkish or sparklish...dunno :chin:
    As you say, it's difficult to describe!
    I'd like to hear more if you wish, about the effects of this practice in other areas of self-development.
    For example, in your writing?
  • T Clark
    I'd like to hear more if you wish, about the effects of this practice in other areas of self-development.
    Amity

I'll respond, but it's taking me some time to figure out what I want to say.
  • Deleted User
    We need scientifically astute philosophers and philosophically astute scientists in order to arrive at a philosophically and scientifically respectable position on human experience/consciousness/thought/belief that is amenable to evolutionary terms...creativesoul

:fire: :fire: :fire:
  • god must be atheist
    How do we develop our conciousness and self-awareness?

My first thought is that the inquiry itself is a helpful place to begin exploring.
    — Universal Student

My first thought is that I don't know.

My second thought is the same.

And no matter how I try, all my thoughts result in the same conclusion as the first two.
    — god must be atheist

Self awareness is a skill, just like any other. It is developed through practice. Everything boils down the ability to discriminate and differentiate the subjective from the objective in experience.
    Pantagruel

Obviously, then, I have no self-awareness whatsoever.

I think I should be celebrated as one such to be first on a philosophy site.
  • Amity
    Obviously, then, I have no self-awareness whatsoever.

I think I should be celebrated as one such to be first on a philosophy site.
    god must be atheist

Hah. Sorry but no glittering first prize for you, dear
    Member of Mensa, and a lapsed member of The International Society for Philosophical Enquiry, which is a club for people in the 99.9th percentile of population by IQ. ISPE removed me from membership and are not letting me back in due to personal misconduct. I swore at officials without cause.

Your SA level is equal to, if not higher than, your IQ!
    Genius :fire:
  • Agent Smith
    I'll respond, but it's taking me some time to figure out what I want to say.T Clark

:lol: No problemo, we can wait.
  • Amity
    I'll respond, but it's taking me some time to figure out what I want to say.T Clark

OK :up:
  • Amity

Are you following me about?! :lol:
  • Agent Smith
    Are you following me about?! :lol:Amity

For 2 months, 5 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes, 20 seconds and counting! :lol:
  • Amity

Not before that, then :cry:
  • Agent Smith
    I have a poor memory! Things are falling apart. :smile:
  • Amity
    I have a poor memory! Things are falling apartAgent Smith

I wish we could do Self-Maintenance...'How to Fix a Brain'.
    I can't remember. Have you written anything in this discussion about the OP?
  • Agent Smith
    I wish we could do Self-Maintenance...'How to Fix a Brain'.
    I can't remember. Have you written anything in this discussion about the OP?
    Amity

I hinted at a mechanical method - ratchets & bootstrapping - but I don't think the OP had that in mind when he started the thread. Self-awareness, two options, both actualized. Consciousness, if the former, is also complete to that extent. It's time for some psychotropics (drugs).
  • Amity
    It's time for some psychotropics (drugs).Agent Smith

Stay well and take care :pray:
  • Agent Smith
    Stay well and take care :pray:Amity

Why, merci beaucoup mon ami!
  • Amity
    Why, merci beaucoup mon ami!Agent Smith

De rien :cool:
  • Universal Student
    I hope Universal Student is still around.Amity

I am! I am working towards my responses, though I've been reading as these moves along and digesting. I am in the middle of a big transition as we are moving into a new space, so my focus is on getting through the big pieces of that while it's right in front of me and then I'll be able to bring more energy and focus into being apart of the conversations here.
  • T Clark
    Amity

In my writing, hmm... I've been writing so long I can't remember how it felt when I started. I know how it feels now - just like talking. Words flow out like water from a hose, sometimes a firehose. I don't always pay attention to what comes out until I go back and edit later. The right word just feels right. If one comes out that doesn't feel right, I change it. I'll often to go the thesaurus to find a better one. I tend to be very aware of the structure of what I'm writing, even while I'm writing. The flow. The arc. Where it starts, where it ends, how it gets there. The story I'm telling, even in a post like this one. This one's easy. You asked for examples, I'll give you examples. Good and linear with no side spurs.

Another one... Emotions and ideas. If I have to figure out how to express an idea or feeling, for example, if someone asks a question, I often don't know right away. I have to stop and pay attention. When I look inside, it feels like a small pool or basin, empty. While I wait, water flows in to fill it. When it's full, I can answer.

Another... Dreams - I dream a lot. Maybe I always have, but I only in the past 10 years or so have I paid attention. I'll wake up with a mood, often anxiety. I won't know why. As I think about it images will come to me and I'll realize they're from a dream. I tend to have anxiety dreams. When I realize it was a dream, I feel a tremendous sense of relief that there's nothing real I have to worry about.

One more... getting sick. Lots of times, if I'm getting a cold or sick to my stomach, I don't recognize it till it's full blown. Other times I'll feel it coming early. That tickle again. A feeling of discomfort. Like a storm coming, hearing a little rumble of thunder in the distance, maybe not sure if it's that or a truck going by. Then I can keep track of the storm, my sickness, as it gets closer. Then it's here and I feel miserable. If I'm really paying attention, I'll take some tylenol or stomach medicine early in the process to try to cut it off at the pass. That doesn't usually help much.
  • Amity
    In my writing, hmm... I've been writing so long I can't remember how it felt when I started. I know how it feels now - just like talking. Words flow out like water from a hose, sometimes a firehose. I don't always pay attention to what comes out until I go back and edit later. The right word just feels right. If one comes out that doesn't feel right, I change it. I'll often to go the thesaurus to find a better one. I tend to be very aware of the structure of what I'm writing, even while I'm writing. The flow. The arc. Where it starts, where it ends, how it gets there. The story I'm telling, even in a post like this one. This one's easy. You asked for examples, I'll give you examples. Good and linear with no side spurs.T Clark

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Yes, it's difficult to rewind to particular moments when something clicks in your brain in the learning process. Whether it is in acts of reading, writing, listening...the consumption or the production.

I remember the transition from manual to keyboard writing. For a while, it seemed my brain couldn't adapt to transferring thoughts to a screen. I had to write the text out, then copy it word for word.
    Then, the pathways changed. Voila! It was like a new awareness, a connection...
    The words flowed easier.

When I was first introduced to a philosophy forum, I lurked for so long. Being out of my comfort zone, that first post felt like quite the achievement. A leap of faith. It took time to find my voice. Even yet, I write posts and cringe. That's not me. Why did I write that?!
    The bits I miss when reading and responding to others. My own laziness and reluctance to relate what might be uncomfortable. And so on. Pretty boring stuff really...

Unlike you, I am not so aware of structure in my responsive posts. And yes, my OPs suffer from a lack of attention to requirements. I write before, or as, I think...almost spontaneously.

Re: paying attention. I found this article on the merits of handwriting:

Do children in a keyboard world need to learn old-fashioned handwriting?
    There is a tendency to dismiss handwriting as a nonessential skill, even though researchers have warned that learning to write may be the key to, well, learning to write.

Virginia Berninger, a professor of educational psychology at the University of Washington and the lead author on the study [...] suggests that “handwriting — forming letters — engages the mind, and that can help children pay attention to written language.”
    [...]
    As a pediatrician, I think this may be another case where we should be careful that the lure of the digital world doesn’t take away significant experiences that can have real impacts on children’s rapidly developing brains. Mastering handwriting, messy letters and all, is a way of making written language your own, in some profound ways.

“My overarching research focuses on how learning and interacting with the world with our hands has a really significant effect on our cognition,” Dr. James said, “on how writing by hand changes brain function and can change brain development.”
    NY Times- Why Handwriting is Still Essential

There are so many aspects to the OP questions, I think it best to leave it here.
    Even though I would like to respond to your post more fully...particularly with regard to emotional awareness. Again, thanks for sharing examples, each of which would merit its own thread!
  • Amity
    I am working towards my responses, though I've been reading as these moves along and digesting. I am in the middle of a big transition as we are moving into a new space, so my focus is on getting through the big pieces of that while it's right in front of me and then I'll be able to bring more energy and focus into being apart of the conversations here.Universal Student

OK. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I hope you will be able to pick up earlier questions and respond. It's difficult when the flow is broken. Almost like passing a window of opportunity.
  • T Clark
    I remember the transition from manual to keyboard writing. For a while, it seemed my brain couldn't adapt to transferring thoughts to a screen. I had to write the text out, then copy it word for word.
    Then, the pathways changed. Voila! It was like a new awareness, a connection...
    The words flowed easier.
    Amity

I remember that too. I used to write out my reports and letters on a yellow legal pad then give it to someone in administration to be typed. I wasn't happy with the change, but I adjusted quickly. I think I was helped by the fact that I had taken a brief course in typing in high school. I've often said it was the most useful course I took in high school. Now I can't imagine writing things by hand.

When I was first introduced to a philosophy forum, I lurked for so long. Being out of my comfort zone, that first post felt like quite the achievement. A leap of faith. It took time to find my voice. Even yet, I write posts and cringe. That's not me. Why did I write that?!Amity

This is exactly why intellectual self-awareness is so important to me. Knowing something and how I came to know it, how certain I am, and what will happen if I'm wrong gives me the confidence to lay my ideas out for dismantling by others. Over the past few years I've come to see I sometimes have skimped on the justifications for my claims. I've worked to remedy that by spending more time making sure the things I spout out are reasonable.

Re: paying attention. I found this article on the merits of handwriting:Amity

That makes sense to me. I think doing things the hard way before you start taking short cuts helps you understand what your gaining and what your loosing by taking that path. I've seen myself how easy it is to use a computer to perform calculations and run models without understanding the underlying principles. When you do that, it's hard to know whether the results you get make sense. It's surprising how often they don't.

Even though I would like to respond to your post more fully...particularly with regard to emotional awareness.Amity

This was a very useful exercise for me. Making me inspect the ways I am aware of things was interesting and enlightening. And fun.
  • Universal Student
    I guess the most important part of self-awareness for me is the understanding that it is nothing special, nothing magic. It's something we do every day and something we can get better at. There's one rule, one practice - just pay attention. And then, pay attention to paying attention.

I'm going to punt now, which is cheating. Forgive me. This is the original post from a discussion I started more than five years ago. Still one of my favorites. Lots of smart self-aware people participated.
    T Clark

I'm late to the game in getting around to these responses but the energy and effort is still bouncing around in here and wants to move! At the very least, they're is a wealth of back and forth from all of you awesome humans for me to read through and that alone, is valued.

I appreciate this thought Clark. I often, though less so than a couple of years ago, have to remind myself that many of the things that I think, feel and experience are all simply normal aspects of the grounded, physical human experience. Doing so does wonders for keeping my perception of reality within reasonable parameters of truth. At least, that's the idea.

And hey! Recycled or not, useful is useful. I'm not complaining. I'm just appreciative for the receptivity.

This is my first post and in honor of transparency, I feel a smidge out of my league.
  • Universal Student
    This is my first post and in honor of transparency, I feel a smidge out of my league.Universal Student

Perhaps it is my youth (I have the sense that I am on the younger end of the spectrum of folks here) which will not prevent my curiosity from propelling me forward.
  • Universal Student
    I’d like to talk about the experience of awareness. What it feels like from the inside.T Clark

If I may, how would you describe the experience of awareness from the outside?

I’d like to make a distinction here between awareness and consciousness.T Clark

This is interesting. I'll have to think more about these distinctions. How did you come to the...awareness, that awareness is pre-verbal? This brings up quite a bit for me.

I'm my own personal journey with working through my internal relationship with emotions, as I'm sure many others are as well. Emotions are a unique aspect of our whole experience on earth. Thank you for sharing a little bit of what that has been like for you.

It can be quite the shift to be going about the flow and to stop and simply tune into the deeper felt layers of what is unfolding. Being able to know what an emotion is for example, what it means and to put words to it, can be a challenge. From what you have said here, that sounds like at least part of your description of consciousness?

Would we say then that awareness is the knowing that there is something occurring within ourselves and consciousness is the ability to identify and describe what is felt? At least, within the realm of emotion as the plugged in variable to the equation here.
  • Universal Student
    I think you at least need this aforementioned mentality as a starting point, you are unique but you should at least look at how others are, and evidence your difference by the merit of your behaviour. It's always the most self-unaware that fail to understand others, and characterise others unfavourably, and then themselves in a positive way. The problem is that you're too damn smart, and it's hard to outsmart yourself. We can make compelling reasons that excuse our bad behaviour or interpret things in ways favourable to us, or the opposite if self-esteem is low. It is not only very helpful to learn about others to learn about yourself, but by listening to people you relate with and by learning from them, you might be able to overcome difficulties or challenges and gain valuable insights that would take you years of difficulty to figure out by yourself.Judaka

Thank you Judaka.

I myself have tended toward lower self esteem and being hard on myself. Downright abusive, frankly. I've been making my way back from years of self inflicted damage while learning how to cultivate a healthy and balanced sense of self.

Your points here of reminding one to reality check by means of interpersonal relationships is golden! This strikes me as a useful tool.

How did you personally come to learn about your own biases? Did you seek for them? Did you feel initial resistance when it was time to face and then break those belief systems down and if so, what did you find to be the most memorable to overcome the tendency to cling to what is familiar?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment