• Paul91
    Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum.

I propose a (draft) logical argument for altruism:

1. We were gratuitously built-up in the womb with a particular capacity to perform certain actions.
    2. The need to protect/enhance yourself, with all your potential, only arises with a current perceived threat to the survival of your biological form or public image (rooted in egoism).
    3. To serve others in your own capacity fulfils a function that extends beyond yourself and would actualize your existence beyond simply name and form.
    4. Through acts of service beyond yourself, within your capacity, would require replenishment at some time.
    5. Replenishment would occur without labor or contractual debt, similar to the anthropomorphic perspectives of a refilled cup by the drinker or refueled car by the driver.

Therefore, participation in this world would maximize not only yourself, but the interdependent connections in what might be a stressed-reduced society.

I hope to answer any questions relating to this, as this realization is new to me and I might need feedback.

Thank you,

Paul Ivanoff
  • Deus
    Good draft. No questions here.

I would title it Mutual Enrichment.
  • Tom Storm
    Welcome Paul.

Not sure I understand this argument.

1. We were gratuitously built-up in the womb with a particular capacity to perform certain actions.Paul91

Not sure what this means. Are you saying behavior is innate? Which behavior is innate? Is some not innate? What is 'gratuitously built up'

2. The need to protect/enhance yourself, with all your potential, only arises with a current perceived threat to the survival of your biological form or public image (rooted in egoism).Paul91

I'm not sure about this one. 'Only arises'? what are you saying - that we only strike back and adopt conflict if we feel threatened?

To serve others in your own capacity fulfils a function that extends beyond yourself and would actualize your existence beyond simply name and form.Paul91

I don't understand this point. What does 'actualize your existence beyond name and form' mean?
  • Paul91
    Hi Tom,

1. Coded by genetics to perform a variety of actions with the physical body. This was a general statement in that regard. The "phenotype" in other words. The behavior can be self-directed or other-directed in this capacity. Gratuitous, in that context, means without having to give-back. You don't have to give back your body or life (unless you want). If you fill a glass of water because you are thirsty, the cup is not going to reject the liquid, it's going to SERVE that liquid (does that help?). It is the hardest part to explain in abstract terms, for me.

2. All self-serving actions involve the guarding/re-establishing the sense of self. Hegel's master-slave dialectic illustrates the consequences of such a mindset. It's basically ego against ego (as opposed to ego for ego...)

3. My name is Paul and if you meet me, you'll see my form, which is to say my body. If I help you, then I go from an identifiable form to a functioning entity that extends its usefulness beyond itself to you (which is your real ego self, I believe).

Did this help, or is there something that doesn't seem right?

Thank you for response,

Paul
  • Agent Smith
    If I see an egoist, it relieves me - one less person to worry about, he can take care of himself.

If I see an altruist, it comforts me - someone's watching my back, someone who'll come to my aid in my darkest hour.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment