• I like sushi
    Maybe if you back up your claim I will answer. If it is just your personal opinion based on nothing much more than personal experience I am not interested.
  • Agent Smith
    Maybe if you back up your claim I will answer. If it is just your personal opinion based on nothing much more than personal experience I am not interested.I like sushi

Data is a collection of very personal individual experiences.

I'm at least one data point, oui monsieur?
  • I like sushi
    And I don't see justification as a negative thing; isn't giving leisurely consideration to your actions post hoc a good idea, if it is done with an eye to improvement? Seems to me to be an essential part of the process of developing one's virtue... A feedback loop.Banno

Well, we are unlikely to see ‘justification’ for an action as a negative thing. We know from the neurosciences that we are bias in terms of authorship to basic actions; meaning we deny or accept responsibility depending on how the outcome is perceived.

This is why I state that Applied Ethics and Care Ethics both shift the responsibility from the individual, in favour of the individual scenario or in favour of the nebulous interpersonal relations tied hard into societal norms and adherence there to.
  • I like sushi
    @Agent Smith There are some very well accounted psychological difference between men and women. In many circumstances we could state that women ‘care too much’ due to being more tilted towards ‘anxiety’. Men tend to be more ‘aggressive’ so maybe you could say this makes them less caring?

The point being there are some differences and the fact that women are more interested in people than men (overall) does not necessarily translate as them being more ‘caring’. Also, ‘caring too much’ is not really ‘caring’ - assuming you were framing ‘caring’ in a more positive sense that is.
  • L'éléphant
    Do not try. Just tell me and explain or leave.

I am not here to waste my time or yours so spit it out before I lose patience … then address the OP more directly perhaps rather tell me what I think?
    I like sushi
    I did already tell you. But you seemed to have not grasped what I'm saying.

So, please refer to Agent Smith and Banno's explanation of care ethics.
  • I like sushi
    Assume for a second I actually know what I am talking about and stop ranting.

You have not addressed the OP because maybe you did not understand. Ever consider that? If your ‘answer’ was yet another rant about me not knowing what ethics is that is not addressing the OP.

My point was - to repeat for the last time - that Applied Ethics (case determinate) and Care Ethics (interpersonal focus), as they stand alone, both resist any sense of responsibility.

Banno appears to have actually understood. He does not see how Care Ethics is ‘opposed’ to Virtue Ethics though and it DOES NOT MATTER as I have stated several times already. I am not pursuing this to be constantly sidetracked by insignificant points. Either way I have already stated that Care Ethics was set up in opposition to Virtue Ethics because it was deemed as ‘personal’ rather than ‘interpersonal’.

If you again keep on about that I will just ignore you so for the sake of an actual discussion how about addressing the OP? Last chance.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.