• PseudoB
    So I noticed a statue the other day, in the National Cemetery in Gettysburg, PA. I was looking at this giant, beautiful woman, on top of a pillar, holding in her outstretched arm, a Garland.

Yes, at the Base, ahem, there's all kinds of misleading's. But if one obeys the command to "Look up", one can clearly See, there is something more being said than first appears.

It's Philosophy herself, as Boethius described her. The Garland being a reference to a Minde. The outstretched arm placing the Garland over the Cemetery.

The Philosophy of Death, is what the Cemetery breeds and grows. With the blood of all who are buried there.
  • universeness
    'Promession,' is a method of the disposal of dead bodies. You freeze the body to a very low temperature and then you pass a powerful sonic wave thought the body and it shatters into a very fine white powder.
    The process was supposed to be much more friendly to the environment in comparison to burial or cremation, but I don't think science is yet able to create a viable promession system, yet.
    You can visit a grave 'in memoriam,' you can also do so to a much lesser degree based on a crematoriums memorial garden or by visiting where cremated or promessed ashes/powder is deposited.
    Death rituals have been with us since our hominid species arrived and technology offers us different ways to 'handle' dead bodies, mainly human but beloved pets as well.
    The 'in memoriam' aspect of death is so wrapped up in cultural/tribal/religious/national tradition that it will probably be unlikely to impose a 'one method fits all' system. Perhaps in the future the idea of 'burying' human bodies and marking the grave will be phased out. I for one would support such a move for a myriad of reasons related to the 'in memoriam' issue. I think I probably hold minority views on 'the philosophy of death' label/concept.
  • Agent Smith
    Most interesting. — Ms. Marple

True, burial is a rather unnatural thing to do with a corpse. I haven't seen anything like it in other animals, not even in our closest cousins, chimps and bonobos. What usually happens is the cadaver is abandoned, left out in the open, for scavengers and predators to feed upon; after that what remains is for maggots & bacteria; the process of decay ends when nothing is left except for a few scattered bones.

Burials probably began when hominids transitioned from a nomadic way of life to settlements of some kind, from caves on to larger and larger communities. Corpses are, first, rather unpleasant objects to have around ones' dwelling (putrefaction is rather revolting); add to that the scavengers (some pretty large ones) and predators that are attracted by the smell (its intriguing, oui, that one death can lead to many more in this manner). Cremation was an option, but firewood must've been too precious to waste on anything other than protection/lighting/cooking.

:snicker:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.